Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas Tank Repair

Interesting. That sounds different than the military tanks I have had. Do you have pics? If it looks as good as you say it does, it still sounds repairable. Drill the spots, clean, repair, reassemble . . .

^^ I was thinking the same thing. I don't have any good pictures - there are a few in my build thread that show the tanks, but in no real detail. Right now, I just don't have the time and/or desire to tear the tanks apart. I would gladly pay someone to fix the tanks if they knew what they were doing and fixed them correctly for a reasonable cost (hint, hint).

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys View Post
    I bought a Proline for the 88 I just put back together. I actually thought of cutting the top of the Exmod, and tigging it to a Proline.
    Jeff this ^^ is not a bad suggestion. Do you have the ability to do this? You could tig, mig or brass it in.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Yes, I suppose it's an option. However, I think that I'm going to try to get a pair of new Genuine Land Rover Dutch military heavy duty tanks from PA Blanchard. What the heck, it's only money.

Smile

It certainly would be a nice 'invention'......a glue which coats the inside of a tank, and then a rubber bladder which you could put in through the filler hole, blow up, and have it bond to the inner walls of the tank.

Certainly would be a well loved product by auto restorers, eh?

What I did to ensure the red kote permeated into any pin hole, I blanked off the holes and put around 5-10psi in it and kept it pressurized as it was rotated to distribute the goop. Did it help? Who knows, but it has not leaked 5 year on.

Like most Rover resto/repairs, there is more than one way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyhandsagain View Post
    It certainly would be a nice 'invention'......a glue which coats the inside of a tank, and then a rubber bladder which you could put in through the filler hole, blow up, and have it bond to the inner walls of the tank.

Certainly would be a well loved product by auto restorers, eh?
    Seems a rather complex way of achieving the same result as the existing products without the hassle of a bladder. You'd still need to get the fuel varnish off to get glue to stick.

Another vote for Red kote. It's relativity cheap and after a year, it seems to be holding just fine for me.

http://www.damonq.com/Techsheets/Red-Kote.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    ...I think that I'm going to try to get a pair of new Genuine Land Rover Dutch military heavy duty tanks from PA Blanchard.
    I doubt anyone following your restoration thread for the last year believed that you'd opt for anything else...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

For the cost of the tanks from the UK, you might ask a local fabricator to make new tanks out of Stainless. I have had several tanks made in the past (not for the Rover) at a boatyard. these guys are used to making odd-shaped tanks to fit into boat hulls., Painted, they would look the same as originals and would likely last forever.

Just a thought....