Thread: Mt Mansfield Heater, or Kodiak MkIII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mt Mansfield Heater, or Kodiak MkIII

My 66 rover currently has a kodiak MkIII heater installed in it, but it only blows luke warm air. I have also noticed an occasional antifreeze drip from the rear of the passenger side wheel well. My question is this: Should this heater produce good heat output if I have the core rebuilt, or should I just invest in a Mt. Mansfield heater? The cost of the Mansfield is more than I really want to spend. Also, I do not have the air intake on the right side wing on my truck. Can the Mansfield heater be set up to accept the heater duct set-up on the front of the radiator panel, or will I need to cut the hole in the wing?

If I stay with the Kodiak, are new cores available, or will another type of core fit? There aren't many radiator shops around here that I can find to rebuild the original, but I am willing to travel.

I have had both in my truck and can honestly say the Kodiak and the Mansfield are about the same heat output. I had the Kodiak heater core replaced a few years back with little issue by a local radiator repair shop.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Rebuild the Kodiak, they are simple, you already have it installed etc.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

As a matter of interest how does the late IIA/SIII heater compare with the Kodiak and Mnt. Mansfield? I am talking about the heater that has the core box semi recessed into the top of the footsell on the bulkhead and the large duct runnign along the base of the dash.

Not that i need a heater. It still T-shirt weather here.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
    As a matter of interest how does the late IIA/SIII heater compare with the Kodiak and Mnt. Mansfield? I am talking about the heater that has the core box semi recessed into the top of the footsell on the bulkhead and the large duct runnign along the base of the dash.

Not that i need a heater. It still T-shirt weather here.
    Kodiak has better output, however a lot depends on the truck configuration you have ie: soft top/hardtop/88/109 2door or 5 door/interior trim or no interior trim.

In my late 2a 88 with a hardtop and full interior trim(headliner door panels etc) its standard heater works quite well, even on cold days, however my 109 3 door with hard top and no interior trim, is tough to get warm even with the MT Mansfield heater installed.

I am currently working on a way to adapt a Heatercraft heater to a series truck and get it to look somewhat factory. They sell 28,000 to 40,000 btu units which should be able to heat even the most cavernous of trucks.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Get a new $20 heater core from NAPA and make sure the motor is spinning as it should. Both my Rovers have original heaters with new heater cores and both will heat you right out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
    As a matter of interest how does the late IIA/SIII heater compare with the Kodiak and Mnt. Mansfield?
    The Kodiak is rated at 17,500 B.T.U/hour with the motor blowing 190 CFM. I think the Mansfield is a little higher but no a whole lot. The RN site probably has the rating.

Cores get clogged over time. It never hurts to have a radiator shop boil one out and they usually can solder any leak. And remember the heater depends upon a hot thermostat to produce heat.

I have the input of mine set up to be wither recirculating or a combination recirculating & fresh air. It gets real toasty recirculating but it can get humid as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    The Kodiak is rated at 17,500 B.T.U/hour with the motor blowing 190 CFM. I think the Mansfield is a little higher but no a whole lot. The RN site probably has the rating.
    To my original hijack question do you know what the stock OEM late unit was rated at? I agree that due to age most now have a depleted performance but I've an academic interest to compare performance numbers. As Jim points out and you provide some reasoning behind I'd rather expect the stock unit to have similar performance.

I can see the upgrade for earlier trucks but I'm wondering if a Kodiak/Mansfield is much of an upgrade for a 69+ truck?