Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mt Mansfield Heater, or Kodiak MkIII

Quote Originally Posted by derekchace View Post
    a new core for the heater from the parts store is probably not an option on my 24v rover?
    Voltage doesn't have anything to do with it. The "core" is the radiator inside the heater box. Over the years they get plugged up both inside and outside and don't transfer heat very well.

If you're having trouble, take your old core out and bring it to the parts store. Even if it's different than the Smiths style I'm sure they can match it up with something for very short money.

By the way, the replacement core part numbers for the Smiths style heater are as follows:

4-Seasons/GDI - 399024
    Everco - H2329
    Napa - 660-3076

Just to clarify the vehicle type, It is a 1966 88" tropical hardtop. It has an original looking headliner, but I doubt there is much insulation above it. The doors have the deluxe interior panels, etc. When I place my hand over the output duct to the heater, it is luke warm in temperature. The blower output is fine. If I leave the blower off for about 5 minutes, and then turn it back on, it blows quite warm for a few minutes, then cools off again.

All of you have given me a bunch of great info. I think it is worth keeping the Kodiak then, and get it operating correctly. Does anyone know of the correct replacement part number for a new core at napa? I would just as well replace the whole core with a new on rather than have the rover sitting in pieces while I get the current core rebuilt.

Now my next question: What is the easiest way to get the old core out? I just bought this rover in August, so I haven't had a lot of time to take things apart yet. Do I need to remove the passenger side wing? Since I can't seem to even see or reach the coolant hoses attachment points, I assume this is the best course of action.

Also, I have the original looking coolant flow valve attached to the top front of the engine. I have noticed some of you have it mounted to the bulkhead instead. Are these valves notorious for breaking, or restricting coolant flow to the heater? I can pull the valve open or shut, but the heat output doesn't seem to change much if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesrover View Post
    By the way, the replacement core part numbers for the Smiths style heater are as follows:

4-Seasons/GDI - 399024
    Everco - H2329
    Napa - 660-3076
    Which Smiths heater? The round core one? The flat core one that mounts inside the bulkhead above the gearbox? The Series III fresh air heater?

I'd like to capture these numbers for my alternate parts web page but need to know which Smiths heater.

Thanks

I would love to know how to remove the core on the flat military style mounted above the gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    Which Smiths heater? The round core one? The flat core one that mounts inside the bulkhead above the gearbox? The Series III fresh air heater?

I'd like to capture these numbers for my alternate parts web page but need to know which Smiths heater.

Thanks

IIRC Jim has the fresh air heater- the one with the core mounted inside the engine compartment- it was used on some IIAs too I think- I am pretty sure the late IIA one is the same as the series III though the distribution inside is different? Someone should probably compile some pics inside the engine compartment and out.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    IIRC Jim has the fresh air heater- the one with the core mounted inside the engine compartment
    Yup. Late IIA on. They changed a little bit when they went to the Series III but the core is the same.

any advice on how to get the old core out?

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    any advice on how to get the old core out?
    Turn all the screws counter clockwise.

Just forget I asked.