Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Loud bang, dead rover - transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    Now...on to that broken shock, or the broken brake booster....or installing the winch... or new headlights...or finally repainting the roof....or........
    or just savor the moment that your truck is working then do the brake booster first.
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    The only challenge I ran into was with the locking washer. I could not get the dog to line up with one of the tabs to bend it down - how bad is that?
    First off, glad to hear that you're mobile again, and for not too much cash to boot!

Now for that spline nut...You definitely want that nut to be 1) tight and 2) positively locked with the locking tab, ensuring that it won't loosen.

Unbeknownst to me, my locking washer had the forward-pointing tabs break off, though the tabs folded down onto the nut were still intact. The nut backed off, causing the transmission to jump out of gear while engine-braking. The next day, as I was backing out of my driveway the nut backed off as far as it could go, until it jammed into that cover plate you just installed, immobilizing my rover halfway out in the street.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Congratulations on your latest conquest Nick! I'm learning a lot about my rover, just like you, and to have a board with such invaluble members is refreshing. Be careful though, you may get the urge to quit your day job, and become a mechanic!

There are two things that make me realize what a really short time we have on this earth, browsing thru a used book store and climbing under my Series!
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Just in time for another weekend of big snow.
    74 SIII
    96 Disco SE-7 5 Spd.