Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Loud bang, dead rover - transmission?

I am voting for (hoping for?) what Greasyhands said. Don't rely on the position of the transfer lever. Maybe something underneath came loose.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Nick,
    I am so sorry about your Rover. Please as hard as it is, try not to let it get you down. For alot of us, me included, it is not always about the money (although that is painful!) it is about the fact that you can't drive the vehicle!

Griswald

Man, you were so stoked in your earlier post and now this....bummer. I've had to go thru just about every system in my truck EXCEPT the tranny, it's failure is my biggest fear, and the fact that it can happen w/o any forwarning is scary. Hang in there and remember how great the truck is (and will be again) when shes back running.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Nick

Looking through some of your other photos I thought that maybe this link will cheer you up a bit - or give you a bit of a laugh at least while you try to figure out what is up with your truck.

http://bakonvodka.com/

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover View Post
    Nick

Looking through some of your other photos I thought that maybe this link will cheer you up a bit - or give you a bit of a laugh at least while you try to figure out what is up with your truck.

http://bakonvodka.com/

Brent
    WHAT?!?!? Someone beat me to market with bacon vodka!?!? There goes my retirement plan

Thanks guys for the uplifting well wishes. I think my family was surprised by my mood, I've reached the zen stage of rover acceptance. It is what it is, it's not my daily driver and it will run again some day...it just might be a few months (and a lot of jabs from friends who just don't understand )

Im anxious to at least diagnose the problem with the hope that is may be something miraculous like a broken linkage causing it to be between high and low range.

the one thing I am worried about (b/c I think stanta's elfs already secured a winch and some other off road stuff)... are they all this fragile? I feel like they can't be - even for the age of these trucks, the videos and real life experience I have seen lives up to the hype. So why would pulling away from the curb in 4wd high cause the transfer case to have a meltdown? I guess if it was abused most of its life then it was only a matter of time... but I want to get the truck to the stage where I am not constantly fearful of something braking under relatively normal conditions (or is that called the joy of ownership )

I have also given some thought to finding a parts truck...

I don't think it's a matter of being fragile. It's an old truck and everything will eventually break. My frame is held together with nothing but hope and denial (waiting for RN to discount the 88 chassis or at least offer cheaper shipping) and along with that and my wobbly gear TC, I lashed a log chain to my storage building and drug is across my yard, spinning tires in 4lo. Friday I hauled a load and a half of firewood. I wouldn't abuse the truck, dumping the clutch etc, but I wouldn't have any reservations "using" the drivetrain.

I just finished playing with the SIII gearbox/TC I have on the shelf. It's very difficult to get the TC between gears, but I was able to do it and did produce a sound similar to that in the video. The lever detents that hold the the TC in gear are pretty robust. Although possible that the lever is being blocked from fully engaging, it seems pretty unlikely. The bottom of the red lever is bolted to the gearbox bellhoushing. A few inches up from that is a ball. This ball rides in a round bit that's bolted onto the end of the shaft that shifts the TC. There would have to be a lot of very tenacious debris wedged into the lever to prevent it from engaging Hi or Low.

I've been focusing on the TC, but it is possible that something in the gearbox has broken. If the layshaft or outputshaft broke, it might produce that same sound.

Good Luck and make sure you post pictures of the diagnosis.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    WHAT?!?!? Someone beat me to market with bacon vodka!?!? There goes my retirement plan

Thanks guys for the uplifting well wishes. I think my family was surprised by my mood, I've reached the zen stage of rover acceptance. It is what it is, it's not my daily driver and it will run again some day...it just might be a few months (and a lot of jabs from friends who just don't understand )

Im anxious to at least diagnose the problem with the hope that is may be something miraculous like a broken linkage causing it to be between high and low range.

the one thing I am worried about (b/c I think stanta's elfs already secured a winch and some other off road stuff)... are they all this fragile? I feel like they can't be - even for the age of these trucks, the videos and real life experience I have seen lives up to the hype. So why would pulling away from the curb in 4wd high cause the transfer case to have a meltdown? I guess if it was abused most of its life then it was only a matter of time... but I want to get the truck to the stage where I am not constantly fearful of something braking under relatively normal conditions (or is that called the joy of ownership )

I have also given some thought to finding a parts truck...
    Nick
    I feel your pain, however there is no cheap way to own a Rover. They are certainly not a fragile truck, however miles and miles of hard use will eventually take its toll on even the heartiest of drivetrains. By getting a truck from the UK, you initially saved some money, however in the long run, you will end up spending whatever it is you thought you saved on the unknowns. Unfortunately the only way to have a near bulletproof Rover is to go through every system one by one and replace what is worn out. Otherwise you go down the road that you are currently on, which is to fix things as they break. Don't loose hope, this is just the facts of owning an old car. Eventually everything that is going to break, will, and then you will fix it and all will be well. BTW a parts truck is not going to help you with your current issues as that presents you with a entirely new set of unknowns. Best to fix what you have and any fix you do, make it a quality one, so you dont have to revisit it again. Remember that, if in fact you do need to rebuild the trans, most places charge under 2K for this service(once you have removed the trans)
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Take it from somebody with his engine in a million pieces in the garage right now...You didn't just buy an old land rover, you bought a whole lifestyle. Part of that lifestyle is having to fix the broken stuff. It happens.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Take it from somebody with his engine in a million pieces in the garage right now...You didn't just buy an old land rover, you bought a whole lifestyle. Part of that lifestyle is having to fix the broken stuff. It happens.
    Ha! Thanks again guys - really am rolling with the punches on this one.

I'll keep everyone posted after the thaw and diagnosis is more complete.

Many, many moons ago, my truck did something similar. Nice big bang and complete loss of drive. After giving everything a good coat of looking at, I decided to yank the Over Drive off. Sure enough, the gear/spline thingy (don't want to get too technical ) stripped out, and that was that. Pretty poor design really as no oil can get in there to lube the splines and over time they wear till they fail.

I had had it apart at some point long before the failure and noticed some wear, so greased things up, but the wear was too far advanced and eventually it failed.

Yours may may have suffered the same fate. Pop the OD off and have a look. If that's is the problem, you'll need to have, or find, an original gear and rear cover to button things back up.

Brett
    Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi