Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Loud bang, dead rover - transmission?

I also think the OD is the cause of the problem. If that is the case the part can be replaced and you are going again. That would be my first check. Just hope the rest of the OD is OK if the drive gear is the problem.
    Jim

Did one last bit of diagnosis work before leaving town - applied the parking brake - same whhhrrrr sound, clutch out did not stall.

Default levers

Just move all the damn levers until something happens. I'd bet on the t-case lever.

Quote Originally Posted by bpj911 View Post
    Just move all the damn levers until something happens. I'd bet on the t-case lever.
    Ohhhh believe me, I tried them all...I looked like Jim Henson in there pulling levers left and right...in fact I yanked the OD rod so hard that the lock nut came lose

Once it thaws and we are back home I'll start spinning wheels

So, the rover may move again sooner than expected...
    Santa brough me a warn winch

more on that anyother time

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    ...I looked like Jim Henson in there pulling levers left and right.

hilarious
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    So, the rover may move again sooner than expected...
    Santa brough me a warn winch

more on that anyother time
    Don't get it stuck up any trees! "Gods must be Crazy" reference.

Merry Christmas
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post

I've been focusing on the TC, but it is possible that something in the gearbox has broken. If the layshaft or outputshaft broke, it might produce that same sound.
    Could be a broken overdrive. You can replace it with the stock gear & back plate to check. I'd go there first since you have already played with the levers. There's a reason why people with overdrives tend to keep all the old non overdrive parts in the truck so the OD can be removed away from home.

Layshafts commonly break and when they do it feels & sounds about the same as a rear axle snapping. When mine broke I still had fourth gear, which is lucky because I was at the California Oregon border and a long way from home. Fourth was the only gear I had.

Mostly the sound is associated with an axle breaking, transfercase popping out of gear, overdrive breaking or a gearbox shaft breaking.

Good luck & hopefully it is something easy & cheap to repair.

Default Layshaft

I agree, the two times I have broken a layshaft I always had some gear left, usually 4th. Fun driving home using low 4th and hi 4 only!
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

We had an unexpected break in the weather this weekend so I got a chance to dig into the rover's issues for the first time since it died on me.

I've learned one thing, I still have no clue what I am doing

I've taken off the inspection panels on the over drive, transfer case and gear box (I think). The symptoms are strange. It occurred to me in the middle of the night last week that I could do an audible diagnosis - if engaging or disengaging the OD did not change the pitch, it must be the OD right? Well interestingly enough, the pitch changes but nothing is moving. None of the gears that I can see via access panels are turning at all.. in the fact the only time I see movement is when the OD is in its neutral (b/t engaged and disengaged) and the clutch is out (and sometimes even when it is depressed).

Anyone have any ideas or education for me? What does this tell us? I dont mind continuing to disassemble things and take the OD off...but not sure what that does for me yet. Could this be a clutch issue?

Have a look for yourselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDBZN3Qd8bo
    I still cannot figure out how to use the youtube embed option on the forums... I've tried adding the URL and the video's code... any tips?