Thread: Newbie: Help deciding on first Rover!

Default Newbie: Help deciding on first Rover!

I am a big fan of classic cars and 4x4's having grown up driving an early Chevy 4x4 pickup and now have a Willys Jeep. I am interested in getting a classic 4x4 that I can drive to work periodically, take hunting/fishing and still enjoy working on occasionally. I have thus far been drawn to Series IIA's due to simplicity and classic ruggedness. How are these things to actually drive on a somewhat frequent, reliable basis? Most of my commuting is on two lanes but like the ability to get on Interstate and not be a casualty. I also have 3 kids and need some back seat capability from time to time. I understand the limits of 70 hp and a 4x4 as I have a Jeep that was rated at 72hp when new. Any particular recommendations on what models/years to look at or stay away from? Any good websites that explain all the different models/year-to-year changes? Was power brakes/steering ever offered on Series IIA/III Rovers? Please help a new possible Rover addict.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jedidiah Green

i drive my every day. and i wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the county but then i've broken and rebuilt most of it already.

if you rebuild one or know the real history of it then i think you can count on it.

i don't think the original advertisements for these trucks was exaggerated.

i like the iia. i think there are more of them around than ii or iii but the important parts are pretty much interchangeable on all series
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

If you have driven an old jeep, then I would say you should know already what you are getting into with a Land Rover. Mechanically, they are very simple machines, and there are not really any years I would think you should stay away from. Many of them have been modified by prior owners, and that is more of a concern towards reliability than the vehicle year itself. If you have 3 kids, you will probably want a 109 LWB design, but a 88" SWB will still carry 7 people. Just look for a good example which has a solid frame, solid bulkhead, and offers extras which you feel you would like for your comfort and the comfort of your kids. Power steering was never offered, but some have retrofitted it in. see Terri-Ann's site for a description of how to do it correctly. Power brakes were offered on later models. Series III's have them, and possibly the late model series IIA's. I am not up to speed on all the change over years and parts.

Only thing I'd add is that in an 88", you probably won't want to haul you kids in the back without adapting a forward facing seat of some type.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Thanks for replies. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a Land Rover Series reference site. One where I could learn about more details about the Series vehicles?
    How much does an overdrive help highway driving in a Series truck? Is 65 reasonable on fairly level roads?
    Thanks
    Jed

65 is definitely doable in a Rover with an overdrive.

This is a pretty good site for additional info:

http://www.lrfaq.org/
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Default Tech Stuff

Some of the this and that on Land Rovers
    http://www.roversnorth.com/store/t-l...info-tips.aspx

TeriAnn's site is always a must read
    http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

LaneRover pointed out a good site

Vintage ads
    http://www.landrover.vlothuizen.nl/s...elBase-88.html

Site with a whole mess of stuff
    http://www.landroverweb.com/Land-Rov...manual-pdf.htm

The Rovers North forums are one of the most informative and useful avenues of Land Rover information I've found. Plug a few choice words into "Search" and you'll get any number of threads to read.

A 109" has a back seat so would be a better option for kid hauling, but Series III 109's are hard to find in the US. Imported (offically) till 1974 and sometime into 1975. Series III is more refined then Series IIA, in terms of creature comforts etc, and in 1980 V8's were put into the Series III 109 but once again weren't being shipped to the US by 1980 but that doesn't mean you can't find one.

Station wagon models had back seats and a hard top roof.

Welcome Aboard!
    Cheers!
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Welcome!!!

One bit of warning: be very careful choosing this vehicle if you're thinking of moving your kids around in it. As you read through the posts on this site you'll see a common note that this is not a modern vehicle and is not particularly safe in any form of accident.

I use mine as a daily driver when I don't walk in to work. About once or twice a week I'll drive it 20 miles or so on the interstate to a satellite location. Great vehicle, fun to see the stares, handles AWESOME in snow, but will get you the occasional finger when you're travelling 55 in a 65 on a crowded Interstate.