Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio Head unit in a series

Default Radio Head unit in a series

I am about to install a cd player and speakers in my 2a 88 and i do not want to buy a center tuffy box or get rid of my third front seat. Has anyone found a clean place to mount a standard CD Deck. Also does crutchfield sell those surrounds to mount on the underside of a dash, or seat box?

Make sure you get good speakers and a powerful amp so you can hear it
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Crutchfield used to sell what you're after, but I hav'nt checked in a while. I got one at a local car stereo shop last time I did this. I mounted it under the dash.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

You might be able to adapt the factory Defender radio head unit mount.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2939-radio-housing-defender-.aspx
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

For a IIa, I'd suggest looking at Thompson's link above. In my III, there's a spot where I did cut a square little hole for the front of the deck to stick out, and used a kit from Crutchfield to install it. Lemme see if I can find a pic..... BRB....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

In a SIII, there's a spot on the dash that has some holes in the steel, covered by foam.... the radio is a Kenwood w/ 25w into 2 channels, I've got a pair of Polk 6" marine speakers in my doors. For a SIIa, again, I like the idea of using the Defender shelf mount.... haven't tried it, the SII had the radio mounted overhead already.... not sure I like it there, might relocate it....

Here's my radio:
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Local club member did this.

http://forum.roversclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1333

I have seen another truck where they used a pre-amp (I may be totally wrong as I don't know radios) with an ipod plug-in. So again, no radio but could only play an ipod.

Me personally, I just use the ipod w/headphones.

I also did the motorcycle speakers/amp, thing.

The speakers fit perfectly on the "shelf" just behind the vents in the dash, and the only invasive thing I did, was stick a piece of velcro to the dash, so my Ipod had a place to sit during travel.

No holes, no fab-work. All music, all the time. I'm pleased with it.
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

Oh, I left that out.....

I installed an Audiovox FM modulator inline with the antenna. REALLY nice little unit. At the flick of a switch, it feeds your RCA input in through the radio, w/ no radio signal walking in over it the way most FM units use. I have a RCA-to-headphone adapter w/ it, so I can plug in my Zune or my Walkman.

Thing about using my Kenwood: I already had it; as a cassette deck, it looks correct in a Series; 25wx2channels; is great as a radio; w/ the FM modulator, I can play an iPod or whatever.... The Polks were the most expensive part, and only because I wanted shallow-mounting marine 3-ways of a ~6" diameter, and even they weren't that much, getting them off ebay.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

those are very good ideas. the reason i am looking into a full stereo is that i had my ipod stolen from the seriesand i don't really want to buy another. I have an older Sony head unit and a couple bostons to put in the doors (free).

The problem about the shelf plastic box is that under the dash i have the heat duct blocking a clean spot to mount one. Crutchfield has the same thing as the defender oem but $24 not $58. I was also thinking of boat stereo housing. I could install it along the head liner.or on the plate on above the dash below the wind sheild

That motocycle unit is a great idea if i can find a good CD/Radio with Ant. I could velcro that to the top of the dash.

Any other pics/ ideas would be welcome