Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot dip galvanizing vs Cold galvanizing spray

Default Hot dip galvanizing vs Cold galvanizing spray

Has anyone used a zinc galvanizing spray or paint in the past 10+ years that can comment on the rusting of the steel? The article attached in the link annotates the differences fully noting that hot dipping is the preferred method.

http://www.galvanizeit.org/images/up...TL_08_2006.pdf

Good quality cold galvy zinc spray, like ArcAir brand at welding supply places, holds up very well. Obviously not as good as being dipped, but pretty darn good.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

The zinc spray paint can work surprisingly well, I did a hitch in it 10-13 years ago and it is just now starting to rust through. I don't remember what brand I got- I picked up a case from an army surplus dealer.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    The zinc spray paint can work surprisingly well, I did a hitch in it 10-13 years ago and it is just now starting to rust through. I don't remember what brand I got- I picked up a case from an army surplus dealer.
    surface rust or rust totally through?

"cold galvanizing" is a different process. It does not bond to the base metal. Its just fancy paint.

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung View Post
    "cold galvanizing" is a different process. It does not bond to the base metal. Its just fancy paint.
    I was sitting back and watching this thread and thinking the same thing. After reading Yorker's post, I would love to hear more independent testimonials for the spray-on "galvanizing" stuff. 10-13 years is pretty decent, providing the item in question wasn't garaged every winter...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

In my line of work we often must use the cold Galv. spray when welding galv material such as handrails, dunnage iron which supports airconditioning units, benches, canopies and lintels supporting brick. Truth is even when applied properly it is a noticable difference. (If you know what you are looking at) I agree that it could last quite a few years but will become visable with surface rust beginning to bleed through. If someone were to think they could cold galv a chassis the downfall would be the inside of it. Where any protective material cannot be properly applied you are wasting time doing anything. Just as waxoyl in my opinion is a waste of time and effort if applied only to the exterior of the chassis. In my opinion they each have their place. I cold galved all the tub trim 6 years ago then clearcoated and it looks as good as the day I applied it. I also however on my current project hot dipped everything I never want to repair for the next 75 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    I was sitting back and watching this thread and thinking the same thing. After reading Yorker's post, I would love to hear more independent testimonials for the spray-on "galvanizing" stuff. 10-13 years is pretty decent, providing the item in question wasn't garaged every winter...

It is never garaged and since it is a hitch it has been subject to salt spray etc. I have really been surprised how well it worked- I had only intended it to be a short term solution- but you know how that goes. Who knows maybe if I use Rustoleum it would have lasted just as well?

It exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

I don't think it is a substitute for real galvanizing- but it works better than you might think considering it is just fancy paint.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Just to throw another great option into the ring, there is a process called metal spraying (also known as thermal spraying or zinc spraying). This process uses equipment to melt zinc (or aluminium or many other materials) wire, atomise it and project it onto the item to be sprayed. The result is a pure metal coating which offers the same protection as hot dip galvanise (or sometimes better as you can put thicker metal sprayed coatings on - up to several mm if required but 150-250 microns is more normal). The main benefit is that it is a metallurgically cold process so you don't get heat distortion which can cause problems with hot dip galving chassis' for example.

You need to grit blast the surface clean before hand and it is line of sight so you will still need to waxoyl the internals of a chassis for example. However, as a process it's very well proven and has been used to protect anything from fences, playground equipment right up to offshore platforms and the recently opened Burj Khalif tower in Dubai.

It's not really a DIY process but there are plenty of companies dotted around the world doing it as an alternative to hot dip galv.

Sorry for the sales type pitch - not intended but I have built a 100" hybrid LR in the past and wished I'd known about this before having to straighten out my chassis after having it galved!

Happy Land-Rovering - wife and kids forced sale of mine but I still yearn to get back to it one day.

Is there a company that does this in New England?
    Jim