Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to mount a jerry can?

Quote Originally Posted by derekchace View Post
    This is how I mounted mine. Does not effect the tailgate at all.

I assume you're a collector or do reenactment? If not, I don't think I'll be making that trip to the Ben & Jerry's factory after all...

A 'barbie-convertible pink'
    1965 88" IIA

So much woe as I have with you
    þoled. --Chaucer

Which kind of jerry can do you have?

The Swiss Army mounted one jerry can inside, behind the driver- there is room there btween the bulkhead and the rear seat that is just big enough for a jerrycan mount on the passenger side this space it partially taken up withthe outside fuel filler and you can't mount one there.

There are pro and con arguments for all mounting positions, a lot of people don't like to have the cans inside.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by derekchace View Post
    This is how I mounted mine. Does not effect the tailgate at all.

Unfortunately, that's where almost everyone else's rear lights are.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Doesn't answer the question, but thought I'd mention I have two army style jerry can holders for sale here if anyone is in need of them.

I never used them because I too couldn't decide where they should go, but also in part because I found a British Army dual jerry can holder for Land Rovers that I purchased from Ebay UK and had shipped to FL. Can't tell you where in the Rover it would have gone because I mounted it in my m416 trailer.

telwyn
    1982 Land Rover Lightweight
    1999 Land Rover Discovery II
    1967 m416 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    Which kind of jerry can do you have?

The Swiss Army mounted one jerry can inside, behind the driver- there is room there btween the bulkhead and the rear seat that is just big enough for a jerrycan mount on the passenger side this space it partially taken up withthe outside fuel filler and you can't mount one there.

There are pro and con arguments for all mounting positions, a lot of people don't like to have the cans inside.
    I just ordered it from our kind hosts; it was one of the last green ones.

I actually don't have any back seats in my Rover. The bed is open and empty.

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
    Just ordered myself a jerry can after puttering out on a local road after running out of fuel. Apparently "about a quarter tank" actually means "about the square root of beat all" for my little Rover.

So where's the best place to mount the thing on the 88" pickup? I want all opinions, both aesthetic and practical!
    At frame level inside the body. Adding a second under the seat fuel tank, doubls your fuel capacity, takes up no additional usable space (but you do loose the storage box). It does not add to the vehicle centre of gravity. its tidy and out of the way.

My 109 has 2 under seat fuel tanks plus a rear duel tank. 42 gallon fuel capacity, all at frame level, weight distributed about evenly in the vehicle, no lifting 20L cans & pouring them into the tank.

Sometimes you might want to think inside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    At frame level inside the body. Adding a second under the seat fuel tank, doubls your fuel capacity, takes up no additional usable space (but you do loose the storage box). It does not add to the vehicle centre of gravity. its tidy and out of the way.

My 109 has 2 under seat fuel tanks plus a rear duel tank. 42 gallon fuel capacity, all at frame level, weight distributed about evenly in the vehicle, no lifting 20L cans & pouring them into the tank.

Sometimes you might want to think inside the box.
    You're right, that is something to consider. I seem to remember thinking about that for about 3 seconds and then dismissing it; for what reason I don't know. I would like to keep the under-seat storage for now, as it is the only storage I have on the Rover that is out of the weather. Until I fabricate or buy a tool chest for the back, anyway.

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
    I would like to keep the under-seat storage for now, as it is the only storage I have on the Rover that is out of the weather. Until I fabricate or buy a tool chest for the back, anyway.
    Or looks like it is out of the weather.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Default Durr.....

As far to the rear as possible! If you have the same springs I have your ride is "vigorous". Moving it as far the the rear as you can will negate some of the effect. Yeah it reduces access from straight back but that is the beauty of a pick-up.......lean over the side. You can lay them on the side, nozzle up, in a mount, on the wheel weels and they ride a little higher but they are out of the way of the main load-space.
    1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
    1997 D-90
    "Fear profits man, nothing"

I thought I would comment as that first picture is of my Carawagon . I pondered on Jerry can mount locations for a long period before departing on our trip to Alaska, and when all was said and done, I decided on copying the original Carawagon jerry can mounts. Although it may look scary to some, I really dig the original look and love the set-up. If the truck was petrol I maybe wouldn't recommend it, but considering they only carry diesel, and are only ever filled for off-road, they are less of a danger than they look! Carawagon and Dormobile mounted them up front originally, as most useable space was used up for cabinets, and the original overcab roof racks were way to light to ever consider mounting a jerry can. Series Rovers have been mounting jerry cans up front since their inception. I just read about Robert Bateman touring the world in '57 in a S1 with dual jerry cans up front labelled "gin" and "tonic"! I believe those guys in "First Overland" had the same set-up as well. Obviously there can be better places for other reasons , but they've worked there for me and many other travellers in all forms of unforgiving climate and terrain for years!