Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best place to mount a jerry can?

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    Ha. Speak for yourself. I've got a 109 rear tank.

None the less - just because you've got one potentially dangerous situation that doesn't make creating another a good idea. Again, just my common sense.
    It might be your idea of common sense but putting a can of flammable liquid on the exterior of your vehicle can be just as dangerous and far more likely to be stolen, or punctured in an accident. I've seen 2 trucks roll and dump gas all over from Jerry cans on roof racks- and one M151 that was rear ended and dumped 5 gallons of gasoline all over , That leaves what? the front bumper? Also remember don't assume all jerry cans contain gasoline, just as many carry water, diesel, or motor oils.

If it is secure and not leaking fumes it is safe inside.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    Ha. Speak for yourself. I've got a 109 rear tank.

None the less - just because you've got one potentially dangerous situation that doesn't make creating another a good idea. Again, just my common sense.
    I'm interested to find out what your perceived danger is with a WELL SECURED jerry can inside the vehicle?

Default Safe Location

I have hit an IED and seen many many more IED strikes with jerry cans of fuel stored inside of our GMVs. I have never seen them explode. I have seen medical grade oxygen bottles and a fire extinguisher explode though. I think I assume more risk with my serie's brakes in and around the city than I ever would a fuel hazard.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
    I'm interested to find out what your perceived danger is with a WELL SECURED jerry can inside the vehicle?

In my head I was thinking fumes, explosion, etc. But I suppose you're right that if it's well secured it doesn't matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Ncrover725 View Post
    I have hit an IED and seen many many more IED strikes with jerry cans of fuel stored inside of our GMVs. I have never seen them explode. I have seen medical grade oxygen bottles and a fire extinguisher explode though. I think I assume more risk with my serie's brakes in and around the city than I ever would a fuel hazard.
    Now that's interesting! And you're probably right that the brakes are the most likely problem.

For what its worth I was talking to a fireman in the UK about this and he claims to have witnessed several NATO cans that have been in a fire. They will pop up like a football but the fuel, and therefore fire risk it poses, remained contained.

There is a reason these cans have the reputation for toughness they do. Do look after the seals though.

I assume more risk with my serie's (sic) brakes in and around the city than I ever would a fuel hazard.
    If you're scared of the Series brakes, then you must not have 'em right. I could always lock up all 4 no problem in the 109 if I jabbed 'em hard. Very easily modulated and plenty of stop even when full of mud.

The future iteration of the 109 will have RRC axles, so with discs all around the braking should be even more stellar.

Default Brakes

I have no issues braking if I plan ahead and leave plenty of distance. If someone pulled in front of me and I was forced to brake I would hit them. I have put over 3000 miles on the 109 since august and have been good so far. My brakes are the next thing to replace though. The 4x4 shop up the street has RRC axles if I want them. It's a serious thought.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

I had to lock up the brakes on the Rover this morning as a 6 point bull elk ran out of the ditch in front of me. they worked fine and I slowed down enought to not have Antlers in the front seat with me. Mind you I do have that great front bumper and bull bars..... Maybe I should of tested them out.
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)