Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for applying CANVAK?

Default Tips for applying CANVAK?

This week is the target for finally getting around to spraying my canvas top with some CANVAK treatment. It sounds like the garden sprayer is the easiest method to apply this - but I was wondering about a few details....

Do you spray it on or off the truck?
    How to you prevent overspray on the truck and/or plastic windows? Will standard masking tape work?
    Do you spray inside and out? (both sides of canvas?)
    How long does it take to dry? (when can I put it back on the truck?)

Is there anything else I should know before I start on this?
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Firemanshort....did you get any answers to this? I just ordered my Canvak and need the same type of information.

Additionally, if you spray it on - does it matter if you get it on the plastic windows, or paint? I was wondering also if it is better to spray it while the canvas is on the truck, or off it.

I am really wondering if you need to do inside as well...that would mean taking it all off!
    1963 Series IIa 109" 5 door Safari top (SOLD to new home)
    1971 Series IIa 88" Soft top (SOLD to new home)
    1995 RRC - LWB
    2001 Discovery II SE7 (SOLD to new home)

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I used a 3" brush and applied extra over the seams. Sprayer seemed to be more mess potential than I wanted to deal with.
    1973 Series III 88. "PHYDXO"

The G&R post covered it pretty well.

If I did it again, I would tape my windows. I would also tape / newspaper off the body. The stuff is just messy to get off the paint - not harmful, just messy.

The CANVAK is good ju-ju. My top looks like crud - but the water beads up like a freshly waxed car hood - it still beads like that today - and I store my truck mostly just outside parked on the street with no cover and in the weather.

It is stinky - but only for a few days.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One

Quote Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
    The CANVAK is good ju-ju. My top looks like crud - but the water beads up like a freshly waxed car hood - it still beads like that today - and I store my truck mostly just outside parked on the street with no cover and in the weather.

It is stinky - but only for a few days.
    X2. I used a tree sprayer, gave it a good soaking, and washed my truck afterwards. No problem getting the overspray off the paint. For me, anyway.

AWESOME - thanks guys...I forgot to look on G&R

I plan on spraying it on, and taping up the windows...I hope to get it done on Wed when we are supposed to have a 70 degree day
    1995 RRC - LWB

I did not wash the overspray off my truck right away. I let everything sit for a few days. I was afraid of splashing soap and water on the newly coated canvas.

I wager that if I did carefully wash it soon after the spray that it would have come off a lot easier than after I let it set.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One

I just wipe the overspray into the MOD cabbage paint on the 101. The mil paint is rather water absorbent which can lead to rust if the original gloss paint has been removed at any time. A coat of the waxy stuff helps keep the rest of the truck water resistant too and saves me having to get too fussy with masking stuff so two jobs in one really.

DO NOT get the Canvak on your hands, wear gloves...as they say you live and learn...this stuff really stinks!!!!!

BUT - applied all over the Canvas, it really soaked it up - glad it was 80 deg and no wind in VA today - I did it outside, and that really helped the fact that this stuff really stinks.
    1995 RRC - LWB