Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Detroit locker

Default Still happy

The locker was probably one of the best things we have done to the truck. Walks through things on the trail that would surprise most folks. Great in the snow last winter too.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

This brings up some questions from me. I have yet to learn much about axels, so here goes.

I have Stage 1 V8 axels on my ride. Out of the box are they 24 spline, right?

If so, that means this is the correct DL for me, right?
    EAT225SL36
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai..._pn=EAT225SL36

That one is for 3.54 gear sets. Your's is most likely 4.7's right? I'm not a Detroit expert but I think if it does fit you would likely need a ring gear spacer. You'd be better off pursuing a unit made specifically for the 4.7's if they make one.

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    That one is for 3.54 gear sets. Your's is most likely 4.7's right? I'm not a Detroit expert but I think if it does fit you would likely need a ring gear spacer. You'd be better off pursuing a unit made specifically for the 4.7's if they make one.

I'm not sure what I've got. I just don't know enough about axels - I just know that the PO said they were the v8 ones.

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    This brings up some questions from me. I have yet to learn much about axels, so here goes.

I have Stage 1 V8 axels on my ride. Out of the box are they 24 spline, right?

If so, that means this is the correct DL for me, right?
    EAT225SL36
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai..._pn=EAT225SL36

take a photo and post them here...will help the rest of us identify what you have.

Stage One axles are based on RR axles and have 3.54 gearing in the diff's.

Stage One's used a Sauls rear end as all but a very few were in the 109 configuration.

As with all Land Rover hybrid builds, so many parts interchange, so it is hard to say firm and fast what you have.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Who's a good supplier? I have been thinking about doing this in my 109's sals rear axle and was only worried it would require some special tools to install?

I figure that Great Basin Rovers and Lucky 8 are both probably pretty Rover-knowledgable suppliers of lockers for Salisburys. Probably a few others around, but these 2 suppliers come to mind immediately.

Several Rover shop owners (and non-shop owners) on this board that are likely very familiar with lockers for Salisburys too, though you specified suppliers.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    For an 88" still using stock 10 spline axles the Truetrac might be a better option for most people. At least that is my theory.

LWB+24 spline axles would make a Detroit more viable. Automatic lockers in a SWB can be screwy at times- slippery side hills and on snowy roads.
    You talking about this?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai..._pn=EAT910A400
    '67 sIIa 88

225SL36 is the correct part number. Check this application guide for more information:

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_128302.pdf

Remember that the Detroit Locker for the Salisbury is the same as a lunchbox locker, NOT a carrier replacement locker. Since the carrier in the series and defenders are the same, they use the same locker. Doesn't matter what R&P you use since you won't touch the ring or pinion.