Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Detroit locker

[QUOTE=LR Max;73608]Remember that the Detroit Locker for the Salisbury is the same as a lunchbox locker, NOT a carrier replacement locker. /QUOTE]

Well that certainly simplifies things now doesn't it!

Very helpful thread, thanks gang.
    I've been thinking about a DL for my 88 III - sounds like there are some valid concerns about side hills and snow...the two things that freak me out in terms of roll over and sideways sliding. I'd hate to exacerbate that problem in a SWB truck.

Default Chains

If it is that slippery you should be running chains , which will make the DL magic!
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

I'm still mulling the Detroit over. It all started with installing a Salisbury for peace of mind (no more 10-spline failures). Wanting a rear traction diff, I began weighing the trade-offs between the Detroit and Trutrac. On paper, the TT looks like the all around solution for daily driving and East Coast trails. But in really difficult terrain, the Detroit would seem to allow for lower speed and less abuse of the truck.

My main concern is if the Detroit adds too much stress to the axles in daily driving and trailer towing, basically putting me back in the 10-splines scenario?
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

One of the advantages of installing the Detroit locker (applies to True-Trac and ARB as well) is the opportunity to dump the 10-spline axles. I recently installed a Detroit Locker and 24-spline axles from Series Trek in my 88 and am pleased with the performance. It was also an opportunity to have a beefier ring and pinion supplied by Great Basin Rovers. There's a bit of throttle steering and the odd clicks and clunks as the locker goes in and out of engagement, but I quickly got used to it. Haven't tried it yet in slippery conditions. My criteria was to eliminate two of the most common drive train failures (axles and diffs) while enhancing off-road performance. I like the legacy and operational simplicity of the Detroit Locker, but there are good arguments for True Tracs and ARBs as well. I live in the Southwest and don't contend with snow very often. If I lived with more snow, I might rethink my criteria. My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyjoe View Post
    My main concern is if the Detroit adds too much stress to the axles in daily driving and trailer towing, basically putting me back in the 10-splines scenario?
    No. Just keep air in the tires and it is fine. Whenever I've had issues with my salisbury it is because I had one tire at 30 PSI and the other at 15. Drive like this for like, 6 months and it kills shafts and drive flanges.

But the one nice thing with the salisbury + detroit is if you do break something, you say, "I think we broke something" and then the truck starts driving a little goofy. But it keeps going.

As for snow, when snowpocalypse hit Atlanta, I just drove around without any problems, usually in 2WD most of the time. I did have issues on a sheet of ice on a short, steep hill but that was it. I think it says something when an inexperienced lead foot who has no idea what to do with the sneaky water had no real issues. I would drop it into 4 low when pulling people up hills and other general shenanigans. Heck I even got on the weather channel when I goosed it in 2nd and shuffled the steering wheel as fast as I could.

Only problem I had that week was my lighter ran outta juice. Now I keep matches in the console for just such emergencies. That was my life lesson.

OK, thanks a lot Max. Just when I make a decision, here you come tempting me back to the other side! In all seriousness, I want the Detroit, but for some reason I can't shake the feeling I should get the TT....
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Default lockers

OK, thanks a lot Max. Just when I make a decision, here you come tempting me back to the other side! In all seriousness, I want the Detroit, but for some reason I can't shake the feeling I should get the TT....
    Well, just put the TT in the front and the Detroit in the rear. Unstoppable!!
    Jim Wolf

Well the detroit is cheaper and easier to install. Go detroit and if you don't like it, it is easy to pull out and re-sell. Heck you don't even have to pull the ring gear to install it.

I checked my detroit back in 08 (5 years in use) and there was a little wear, but other than that it looked like it was in great shape.

As fate would have it, Eaton never actually made the TT version for a 4.7 Salisbury. So, I'm now going max traction with a rear Detroit. Can't wait to get it installed and hit the trails!
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS