Thread: Importing Defenders into the States????

Default Importing Defenders into the States????

Recently came across a website in the UK www.landroverman.com they sell defenders, had a nice selection with good prices and have been in business since 1948. After getting my hopes up of finally finding a site in which i could afford a defender without spending $20K, they responded back to me that they cannot export defenders to the states that are less than 25 years old. Is this correct, how come I see so many defenders here in the states that seem to be less than 25 years old. Any replys that would explain this would be greatly appreciated.
    J.C.

In short yes.

99% of the Defenders you see are from 1993 (if a 110) or 94-97 D90's. Because of regulations by the Dept of Trans, Land Rover backed out of the NA market.

Here's some details from wikipedia.....

In 1993 Land Rover launched the Defender in the North American (i.e. the United States and Canada) market. Although the Range Rover had been sold there since 1987, this was the first time utility Land Rovers had been sold since 1974. To comply with the strict United States Department of Transportation regulations, ranging from crash safety to lighting, as well as the very different requirements of American buyers, the North American Specification (NAS) Defenders were extensively modified. The initial export batch was 525 Defender 110 County Station Wagons. 500 to the United States and 25 to Canada. They were fitted with the 3.9 litre V8 petrol engine and 5-speed manual transmission. All the vehicles were white (except two specifically painted black for Marcos J. Soto and Ralph Lauren). They sported full external roll-cages and larger side-indicator and tail-lights. All were equipped with the factory-fitted air conditioning system.

NAS Defender 90 soft-top
    This initial batch sold quickly, and for the 1994 and 1995 model year Land Rover offered the Defender 90, fitted with a 3.9 litre V8 engine and a manual transmission which was clearly intended to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. Initially, the Defender 90 was only available as a soft-top, but later version was offered with a unique, removable, fibre-glass roof panel or regular Station Wagon hard-top.

In the final year of US production the engine was improved, designated 4.0 and mated to a 4 speed automatic transmission. In 1998 regulations changed to require the fitting of airbags for both front seat passengers in all vehicles, as well as side door impact requirements. The Defender could not be fitted with these without major modifications, which given the small numbers of NAS vehicles sold in relation to Land Rover's global sales, were not economically viable. Land Rover retired its utility vehicles at the end of 1997 to focus on its more up market Discovery and Range Rover models, as well as the newly-launched Freelander.

Go here http://www.eastcoastrover.com/tableinfo.html and read the FAQ and FSM sections in particular.

The rest of the site is worth going through, as well.
    Stu

'01 D2

They're either '83/84-'85s in perfect shape, or 85-94's with swapped VIN numbers (illegal) saying they're older than they actually are...

I have an real 87 for sale,(all three VIN # match) in two years you could import it legally!

Gotta watch those ’’rebuilt’’ Defenders, you wont have a problem until you have an accident and the cops and Insurance companies realize that its a 2008 plated as an 83. Then you are in big KAKA!

If you are serious and would like factual information please feel free to contact me through my website.

DividingCreekRoverImports.com

There are a lot of people who will make a lot of money on selling old 90/110s in the US. I had someone on here offer me a pretty rubbish price on my 110 over here while he was selling identical cars on this forum for near 10 times the price wanted to pay for mine.