Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Injection Pump Returns!

Default Injection Pump Returns!

Well it only took three weeks, but today the injection pump for the 2.5 na diesel is back! It was only (Never say only when talking about money...) $485., so much cheaper than buying a rebuilt unit. The shop had never seen anything quite like the Lucas pump and the techs there were fighting over who got to work on it! My guess is everybody got a peak at it and hopefully the combined knowledge led to a primo rebuild, guess we'll have to wait and see. They said they bench tested it and set it to specs (What ever they are...) but my only concern is it's so CLEAN it will look out of place in there. Now begins the re-assembly with new timing belt, tensioner, water pump and lift pump. It will be slow going as I just had my shoulder operated on last week, but I'm chomping at the bit to get going. Also just picked up a 3 hp/60 gallon air compressor so I'll be asking a lot of painting questions in the near future. I like the camo paint and will want to keep it, just needs cleaning up in places (Like windshield frame, doors etc.)
    Geoff

Be careful if its that IRR camo paint, its toxic as hell! that stuff will give you lung cancer if you sand it, start by scraping with a putty knife. Mine had about 45 coats of mop applied paint.

I know what you mean by "Mop appliled", it looks that way in areas. How do you know if it's that IRR (Infra Red?) paint? Looks like standard NATO camo paint job, but If it's toxic to sand I'd kinda like to know up front! I know the inside paint is different, looks like some kind of epoxy based paint, a real hard shiny shell. The outside however is typical dull camo. The only reason I'm considering painting is the top of both wings have bondo or some plastic on them, and seem relatively easy to replace, that and I might have leaked brake fluid on them while working in the engine bay... quite an effective paint remover! All is mute for now as need to get it running again before I tackle the next project.
    Geoff

That's about what I've heard everyone else say it costs to rebuild an injector pump, though I was under the impression that the basic DPS pump was a bit more common. Mostly on agricultural/construction equipment. Perhaps not.

I think you got off easy with your 2.5--I'm rebuilding everything BUT my injector pump.

Don't forget to double-tension the idler pulley when you reinstall the (hopefully new) timing belt! Very expensive things will happen if you don't, according to the green bible.

I forget--Did you buy the specialty pump timing tools, or did you make your own? Since I wasn't rebuilding my DPS pump, I left mine attached to the timing belt housing.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I bit the bullet and bought the special tools. Now that I've seen them I see how I could have made my own, but live and learn. When I bought the new timing belt, I neglected to buy a new tensioner and water pump, I think I'll order them tomorrow (If they are open on the holiday). Just seems that while I'm in there it would be silly not to replace them as well. I'm glad to see another 2.5 fan. Seems everybody raves about the 200tdi and 300tdi, and lots of people convert to them, but I really like the simplicity of the 2.5. It may not set the road on fire, but hey, it's not supposed to! I imagine I might feel different if I'd ever ridden in a 300tdi, but my 2.5 in combination with the RoverDrive does just fine. Of course I don't have to deal with too many hills here in Texas either..
    Geoff

The 2.5 is a great motor. I'm a fan and I put 200's and 300's in trucks frequently. My SIIA w/2.5 na was the only truck in the fleet that would start.....and stay running in a very cold snap recently.

I will say though that the 2.5 is sort of a lifestyle choice. I can't say that you'll ever get anywhere very fast. I AM glad that my RRC has a 300 in it, but my favorite is and will always be the little IIA. never have to worry about the thing. Just keeps on ticking.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWillis View Post
    It may not set the road on fire, but hey, it's not supposed to!
    Why set the road on fire when you can just smoke it out! I too have that lifestyle decision. It forced me to change every bolt to fine thread and nylock. Good luck with the pump!

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SalemRover View Post
    Why set the road on fire when you can just smoke it out! I too have that lifestyle decision. It forced me to change every bolt to fine thread and nylock. Good luck with the pump!

-Jason
    haha, one of my favorite driving games is catching things as they fall of the dash.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

Default The 2.5 is a great motor....

The 2.5 NA is a frigging boat anchor. EVERY Rover publication you can find says the same thing. The motor is hopeless. It sucks for wheeling, it sucks for on-road use. I've had three 2.5 NA engines - from new, to re-built to ex-MOD engines from the first Gulf War. Let's get real, this motor SUCKS.

Default Don't sugar coat it...

Well, interesting perspective... and yes I have read the only thing the 2.5 is good for is to be be replaced by a real engine. I guess I'm the "Rain man" of 4 wheeling, I drive slow in the forest. I really like the simplicity of the 2.5, I figure there is a reason the mod only used the 2.5. To each their own.