Thread: Rubber? or not rubber.

Default Rubber? or not rubber.

I have to change the bushing on my 110. The Rover is use as a daily vehicle and is fully laden most of the time as I use it for my work. Carrying logs chainsaws and my dog. I would like to know what are the pro and cons for polybush. I browsed into forums and some say it's too hard. Others thinks they're superior to rubber. What's the best thing to do??
    Younger, we pointed the guy I now became.

I have both. In my wife's 95 RRC I have rubber about 4 years old coil springs
    (not air springs)

On my 92 I have poly blue bushings. (two years old)

I like the ride better in the 92, I do feel the road more, but I like that type of ride.

If I had to replace the bushings again I would go for poly.
    Kevin

04 XJ8
    92 RRC
    02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
    72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
    70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
    Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
    90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
    72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08

What brand is the polybush you use? Have you experienced rock hard ride in the wintertime? A dealer near my place told me that polybush have a tendency to harden in sub zero temperatures. He also told me that they don't last as long as original rubber bushing. If they are harder then rubber it's a sure thing the ride will be more precise, but the vibrations and knocks will be transfer to the frame instead. I just want to do the job once, so I need to be sure about what to use...

I had a set of poly bushings goin in one day, it was mainly the frame/rear link bushings that failed. It may have been due to heavy articulation.

Bushings is one area where in my experience genuine LR is the only way to go.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

I made my decision. Finally! I'll use original rubber bushing. I thought that over and over.. The 110 isn't a racer, it's already hard as a rock, mind as well stick to the originals as they already clocked up more than 25 years! If these ones last as long as the original ones I'll be 60 years old when time will come to renew them.. 'Might even not have diesel fuel any more in 25 years!

Quote Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
    I made my decision. Finally! I'll use original rubber bushing. I thought that over and over.. The 110 isn't a racer, it's already hard as a rock, mind as well stick to the originals as they already clocked up more than 25 years! If these ones last as long as the original ones I'll be 60 years old when time will come to renew them.. 'Might even not have diesel fuel any more in 25 years!
    There will always be Veg-Oil! I bought the Poly case they were cheap, what a waste of money!

I just replaaced my bushing with Land Rover originals. I went through questions as to which was best I relied on the experts and they covinced me to use rubber on my 110. They were right after 1 year I'm very pleased and the life of rubber is thirty years as I was told so theywill out live me.

See this thread from somebody who probably knows a thing or two about the bushings that are available.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Good choice going with the rubber. My wife and I just drove our 1986 110 three very rough expeditions in Africa ending up in Mombasa last April - all on rubber bushings with no problems. Meanwile our other 110 a 1995 NA spec which had funny blue bushings on it when we bought it has broken a couple in far less extreme service in Canada. I also remember when I was selling parabolic springs the experience of anyone who took our rubber bushings out and substituted plastic was not happy. The ride was harsher and road noise was transmitted to the body. IMHO plastic bushings are overhyped. The main vendors run big expensive advertisements so I suspect they make pretty good margins.

Ray