Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP 2.25

Default On My Way...

Thanks to all for their input... public and private. With patience (or it might be procrastination) I have found my 2.25 turnkey replacement courtesy of friends on Mendo_recce, along with an SIII trans, tyres and rims, and maybe even a Fairey. Even better, a good LR guru to install... although it will be a trip. Thanks BH and TC... and to TerriAnn for suggesting Mendo.

Looking forward to slowing traffic down in Monterey soon!
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by zony View Post
    Thanks to all for their input... public and private. With patience (or it might be procrastination) I have found my 2.25 turnkey replacement courtesy of friends on Mendo_recce, along with an SIII trans, tyres and rims, and maybe even a Fairey.
    So are you buying Brian Horners engine & gearbox? His seems to be in good shape and he wants it gone when Timm drops a V8 into his 88.

That's it... went up to Brian's last weekend and got to drive Gonzo... OMG... a synchro 1 and 2! I fell in lust! While a Weber 2bbl wasn't my first choice, it runs very nice on the Pierce and will suit me just fine. I'l end up with lots of misc. parts here and there and at the end of the day I met some good people from Mendo and beyond... looking forward to my first workend.

How's the TR3 coming?
    Marc

That's it... went up to Brian's last weekend and got to drive Gonzo... OMG... a synchro 1 and 2! I fell in lust! While a Weber 2bbl wasn't my first choice, it runs very nice on the Pierce and will suit me just fine. I'l end up with lots of misc. parts
    Excellent. Since I'm employed by BP I would like to see them pick up an engine order, but Brian is a friend with his heart set on a Timm Cooper engine, drive train, steering and suspension upgrade in three parts. I can understand since my truck got Timm's engine, gearbox & steering upgrade 11 years ago and I've never regretted it once.

Brian's engine & gearbox appears to be in very good condition and he needs the money to help finance the drive train upgrade. I'm glad you can help each other out.

How's the TR3 coming?
    For a driver, my TR3 has become my money sink du jour.

She went into the shop for: conversion from peg & worm steering to rack & pinion, figure out and correct uneven front tyre wear, fix front main seal leak and since they need to remove the front valance and radiator to get to the front seal install my new aluminum radiator when reassembling.

So far in addition to the above there has been:

• timing chain worn through the timing cover plate requiring replacement of cover, tensioner, chain & gears
    • Uneven tyre wear caused by bent frame. One front wheel was about an inch behind the other. So the frame had to be straightened
    • new front suspension bushings (semi expected)
    • The paint peeled off the lower inner wing panel next to the four tube exhaust header causing surface rust. The car went to a body shop while everything was off so the inner wing panel could be derusted and repainted
    • The head gasket was blown requiring replacement. While the head was off, the exhaust valve seats were recessed requiring exhaust valve seat replacement (intakes & all valves were OK)

It seemed like when anything was removed there was an "Oh my God!" underneath.

With luck she will be home by the end of the week or early next week and out prowling the streets again. My pocket book is taking a major beating on this one.

Considering that for the last 10 years or so of driving all that's been done is tuneups, tyres, oil and new distributor, I guess she is due additional maintenance. And I do push her suspension and drive train hard.