Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Starter spinning but not engaging well

Quote Originally Posted by 4flattires View Post
    Great!
    Hopefully you learned rule #1 about automotive electrical repair. Often preached, rarely practiced and dire results happen when things go bad. Disconnect the battery when working on electrical shi....stuff.
    Actually, what I did was even sillier than that... I wired the many (and I need to figure out why there are many) red wires to the top terminal on the solenoid... then I was left with a heavy black cable and thought "thats odd, wonder where that goes? I dont remember it... black usually means negative right? But doesnt this thing ground by being connected to the block? I'll just attach it to the other terminal on the solenoid"...

Of course nothing happened b/c I had disconnected the battery.

As soon as I reconnected the negative on the battery, the starter started spinning at high RPMs ... quick check with the voltage meter and realized that the heavy black cable was in fact the hot lead from the positive side of the battery.

live and learn, right?

Yeah, that big terminal on the starter is the primary electircal distribution point for the entire vehicle. Can't get more juice in one spot than there!

Nice job!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).