Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isuzu diesel into rangie

Default Isuzu diesel into rangie

Hi everyone,

new here so hello! I was wondering if anyone had put an Isuzu 4bd1t/4bd2t diesel engine from a Isuzu npr/GMC W4 into a range rover. A lot of guys in australia have done it but I was wondering if it would be possible with bits sourced from within the USA. I'm not too bothered if it ends up being a manual or auto, but obviously would like the 4x4 to work! Could I use the transmission from the Isuzu or Range rover or would I have to swap it for something different because of either size restrictions or lack of strength. thanks for all your help!!

kyle

I used a 4JB1-T sourced from a used parts dealer out of Japan and a mating kit from GB.

I had heard rumors of someone from New England putting a 3.9L Isuzu diesel (probably a 4bd1t/2t) into a RR but he did a lot of custom fabrication to get it in there. The 4bd1t/2ts don't generate more HP or torque than a 4.6 RR V8, but I have heard that the 2.8 International PowerStrokes required modifications to the drivetrain to work in a RRC.

I've already put over 20k on my 2.8 and love it... driven it from ME to CO a few times now and no major issues with the engine...
    '94 RRC County TDi (2.8 Isuzu 4JB1-T)

Go Here and look for Dougal he has a 4BD1T and MSA-5P box in a range rover and he can tell you a lot about those swaps, they are popular in Oz.:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forumd...Isuzu-4BD1T-2T

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/isuzu-land...iasts-section/

The torque and HP seem similar between the RRC's Gas engine and the 4bd1t but the RRC's ZFhp22 won't like the bigger Isuzu Diesels...
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dieselrangerover View Post
    I used a 4JB1-T sourced from a used parts dealer out of Japan and a mating kit from GB.

I had heard rumors of someone from New England putting a 3.9L Isuzu diesel (probably a 4bd1t/2t) into a RR but he did a lot of custom fabrication to get it in there. The 4bd1t/2ts don't generate more HP or torque than a 4.6 RR V8, but I have heard that the 2.8 International PowerStrokes required modifications to the drivetrain to work in a RRC.

I've already put over 20k on my 2.8 and love it... driven it from ME to CO a few times now and no major issues with the engine...

Thanks for the info! I'd saw that kit advertised and it looked like a good one, considering that the 4JB is a lot lighter than a 4db but the engines seem to be very hard to get hold of! Are you running the engine as stock or have you tuned it? What sort of mpg are you getting?

thanks again

kyle

Pretty much stock. I usually averaged around 24 mpg but that's dropped recently, not sure if i need tuning/timing adjustments or possibly my injectors replaced but i'm still running at 20 mpg (and it is winter of course so it does a lot of idling to warm up). Depending on where and how I drive sometimes I can get as high as 29/30...

You could get a drop like that just from winter blend diesel.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

true, but i noticed in the fall back east and am not quite sure when they started blending diesel, also, i don't remember it dropping quite as bad the year before. I have reason to suspect the injectors too because sometimes when its warm it starts had with a lot of blue/black diesel type of smoke.

it can never hurt to pull the injectors and have them tested anyway, besides, it gives me an excuse to drive my brother's IIa for a week or two

What transmission are you using with your Isuzu 2.8L diesel? I know with the LR 300TDIs they required either the R380 or the auto that was attached to the 300. I didnt think the north american spec ZF was strong enough to handle the diesel's torque. did you change your transfer box to a 1.2 ratio too?

Bought the kit and bolted the engine straight to the ZF auto. As far as I can tell, the diesel doesn't generate more torque than the 4.2 so I haven't found that to be an issue yet. And I did not change the ratio in the transfer box. Things that may happen at a later time, but for now I can't complain. The truck will do 75 and 80 if I really push it and manages to get over Colorado mtn passes at 45 or more

thumb-up We have been running a 4JB1-T for about a year.

We installed a 4JB1-T in our 93 Classic RR LWB about a year ago. It is very very very nice to drive. We had to use a different fluid governor and torque converter rebuilt to diesel specs to get the shift points right. Lots of power and not as slow as you might imagine. Our mileage is closer to 26 or 27 mpg. It will get up to 90+ MPH.

It all started when we bought a 1983 110 with the 4JB1-T 2.8 Liter Turbo Diesel mated to the V8 ZF in 2008. It was terrible to drive because all the shift points were wrong. You had to lift you foot off the throttle to force a shift into 3rd and it would only stay in 4th over 60 MPH with less than 1/4 throttle, otherwise you dropped down to 3rd. Then when slowing down, the ZF would shift back up to 4th. Playing with the kick down adjustment helped some, but no real joy.

Then got help from a gearbox expert and friend and after a rebuild of the torque converter from V8 spec to diesel spec and a new governor it was a joy to drive. We repeated the same on our 1993 classic about a year later and "bob's your uncle".

The Isuzu 2.8 TD in our 110 was a challenge to run on WVO, but after putting in a 2 tank system and a pump to boost the WVO pressure to about 8-12 PSI (pressure varies with temp which determines how thich the WVO is), it ran fine on almost free fuel. When people would smell the exhaust and ask about the WVO, most would ask about the mileage. With a grinning smile, the answer is always the same, who cares... the fuel is almost free.

Robert Davis in VA

Attachment 3004

Attachment 3005