Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Newbie Here with my new to me "89 Range Rover

thumb-up Hello Newbie Here with my new to me "89 Range Rover

Hello i am new here, but I am involved with other forums.
    I just got this '89 Range Rover for my daily driver and project.
    So far enjoying it very much, just got it last week 2-24-10.
    Fixed some minor things and just going threw everything. Very rust free from Arizona at one time. Has been in wisconsin for at least 6 years according to the PO. 132,000 miles on the odometer, sold and serviced and Scottsdale Jaguar untill 1997 with 118,000 miles on it.
    Idles a little rough and is low on power, in my opinion? Cat plugging maybe? But it is getting around 15 mpg and needs new O2 sensors.
    Cheers, Mike

thumb-up

*Tune it up and see how it runs.
    *Tear off the worthless air dam and grill gaurd.
    *Wash the hell out of it and seal the rear window frame around the window with silicon to stop further water inlet.
    *Order POR 15 and treat the rear window frame.
    *Pull out front driver's and pass's carpet, door sills and look under the $hitty sponge sound deadener for rust. Now treat the surprise rust(POR 15,) throw away the sponge and replace with DUCT insullation (HomeDepot.) The duct insullation is sticky micro sponge that doesn't soak up water and has a foil backing on one side -sticky on the other. I cut two pieces using the factory sponge for a template, stuck them together leaving the foil backing on the outsides and threw that in there.
    *Treat the leather interior with Lexol.
    *Optional*
    Throw on an Old Man Emu lift kit, 265-75's and start having fun. Later, add the winch, bumpers, sliders and axels.

Now you're ready for Midwestern salty winters.

Enjoy it - it is the same as my 89 RRC - you cannot beat it as I only paid $2500 for mine and it is great ... or it will be again as soon as I fit a new proportioning/reducing valve to the rear brakes!

Thanks, Paul and Jerry for the tips.
    I will do the heat duct padding this summer. That is a great idea.
    Ripped off what was left of the air dam..LOL
    the brush guard is next, undecided if I'm going to paint and put back on? I like how they look with out it. Going to pick up new spark plugs, the cap, rotor and wires are only like a year old. I will pull the cap and see how it looks inside.
    Have to get a new rear window. I was fixing the rear defrost, the drivers side wires were ripped off. I soldered them back on, tried rear defrost and it started smoking from passenger side connections, it was melting window tinting in a matter of seconds. I shut it down and as I was investigating it, I found a loose connection then bang the window shattered. The connection did not feel that hot? I already had the Iron plugged in and was waiting to solder it. Will have a replacement tomorrow. But it still sucks.
    Otherwise having a blast working on it and driving it.

Default Running Boards

Check out these running boards. Never seen anything like them before, But I like them.

Yep - just like mine!

My car had another interesting touch on it - the wheels were chromed! This is now causing a problem as the chrome is peeling off and I would like to know, is this standard, or did someone pay a lot of money to have these done after he bought the car?

Paul

Hey my wheels are the same way, peeling chrome? I don't know if that was an option? The spare is painted. Got new spark plugs going in tonight. I picked this one up for under $2k and I am very happy so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBarrow View Post
    Yep - just like mine!

My car had another interesting touch on it - the wheels were chromed! This is now causing a problem as the chrome is peeling off and I would like to know, is this standard, or did someone pay a lot of money to have these done after he bought the car?

Paul

Update, buffed the sun faded paint. Found the missing cylinder. One fuel injector not plugged in all the way? Runs great now!! Pulled the brush gaurds off. The She Devil is alive and well.

Default A little more TLC done. :)

I painted the grill and the bumpers. Starting to look a little nicer. I used rustoleum fusion paint for plastic on the grill. I have had very good results with this in the past. Also upgraded the stereo.

what kind of paint did you use to paint the bumper? I have surface rust on plate above my trailer hitch receiver. I need to sand it off and repaint it. Thanks