Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: get'n toy axles?

Default get'n toy axles?

if you swap out the axles on a series for some off a toy tundra to get beefier and disc brakes, can you get 'em to run with a standard series 16" wheel?
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

the toy swap is a good option but only certain models will work, and you might be better off going to toyota wheels. You need to check that the pumkin in the front will clear the leaf springs. You will also need to weld on new spring perches.

Tundra doesn't have a SFA does it? Rover would be a little odd with IFS. Rear has a center diff. You can make a rover wheel fit at a price I suppose.

i'm not in love w/ the tundra axles. didn't know about the ifs and center rear diff. i was just thinking they'd be 1 tons. so i guess the tocomas or the fjs are the ones to look at. toy wheel would be a drag as i like the idea of the sankey and my 88 all having the same wheels, lots of spares that way. changing spring perches are no problem. and a slightly wider stance would be nice, this upgrade is planned for an ambulance.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

many people use fj40, fj60, or fzj80 axles the last of which are the best. The fzj80 axles often come with e-lockers.

Use dana 44's - rear from a wagoneer, it's already offset. Or just us a sals.

Easiest would be a set of FJ40,45,55 axles, the later ones are better- ca 1978 and later would get you front discs and an easy swap to rear discs. 6 lug wheels are a dime a dzen so there isnt' amuch of an advantage to running the rover bolt battern aside fromt he ability to use a common wheel with a Sankey or other Land Rover. All these narrow TLC axles are 4.11 R&P.

FJ60 &62 are a touch wider, have front disc brakes, FJ60's are 3.7 R&P ratio(IIRC) and FJ62s are 4.11. There are other differences between FJ60's and FJ62s but nothing that should be insurmountable in a swap under a Rover.

FJ80 diffs can be had with F+R E lockers. they are 4.10 ratio diffs- they are also wider than any of the earlier diffs. IIRC they are F+R Discs.

All of these have front CVs(aka Birfields) rather than U joints. They can be upgraded with stronger CVs from Bobby Long too though I'd have to say the stock ones are pretty robust, more or less. If it were me I'd run the stock CVs and upgrade only when and if I found myself breaking them.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

good info there, also there are many more gear choices avalible for the toy axles than the rover.

Good info on it:

http://www.floridalandroverclub.com/...1&pkBBid=18012

If i had found FJ40 axles for the same deal as the FJ60's i have now i would have gone with them instead. One benefit is a bit wider track with the 60's though.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

fj40-55 series axles are essentially the same width as Land Rover axles which is nice- they lack front discs up to 1978 though whereas all FJ60s have front discs.

To be perfectly honest though even the Toyota drum brakes aren't that bad IMHO. Id say they are as good or better than LR drums- at least on a SWB.

fwiw I was trying to sort out the differences between fj60 and fj62 axles a while back and ran across this discussion:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=21735

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 62 front axle also has more caster built in due to the steeper driveline caused by the automatic.

In some cases, a cut and turn is not necessary when going with a SOA using a 62 axle.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=18965
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums