Thread: Alpine Windows????

Default Alpine Windows????

This weekends projects consist of replacing the headliner (at Headliner Express in Orlando) and removing the Alpine Windows to get rid of some light rust around the frames, under the lower portion of the seals on the exterior. I'm also replacing the Drivers window motor and lock assembly but I've got that covered... the upper window assembly is time consuming but relatively easy.

Headliner is not a problem, just time consuming plus, Bill is doing most of it since my right hand is broke.

My question is about the Alpine windows. Have any of you pulled the windows and replaced the seals yourself? I can rebuild my engine, tranny and troubleshoot all my own electrical issues BUT I AM NOT A WINDOW GUY.

Special tools? Proceedure for removing and refitting? Useful tips and suggestions will earn earn you a beer and dinner next time you are in the Orlando area. Come visit the Mouse and I'll show you a few secret trails around town too.
    -Cosmo-
    '66 IIA 88" - Stock-ish Trail Rider

'95 Disco R380 5 spd DD
    ARB winch bull bar
    Warn 8k
    Gulf States Grill
    OME HD 2" lift
    home made limb risers
    LR rack with too many Hellas
    on-and-on-and....

The Alpine window seals are in two pieces, with a small bead to expand the seal. It is best to use a special tool to insert the bead into the seal when installing the windows. The tool can be bought from any number of tool or auto part places. The one I have is from Carquest Auto Parts, costs about $20 and is part #STL 47000. You will need to figure out the best blade to use, which expands the seal opening as the bead is fed in thru the hole in the blade, and the best way to hold and move the tool as you feed the bead.

This is the same tool used for the Series Alpine windows and pickup cab corner windows, so you can loan it to the nearby Series owners....

Bob