Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine overheating

Default engine overheating

has anyone ever heard of a bad ground causing an engine to run hot/overheat? if so, why does it happen? i've replaced the thermostat, is there any other reason the engine would overheat?

Thanks
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by ErikP View Post
    has anyone ever heard of a bad ground causing an engine to run hot/overheat? if so, why does it happen? i've replaced the thermostat, is there any other reason the engine would overheat?

Thanks
    Erik

Yeah--If you have an electric cooling fan with a bad ground you could overheat depending on the season and type of driving and type of engine.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Mine used to overheat after I shut it off. I added some "water wetter" and it never happened again.

Default overheating

You may want to consider having your radiator inspected/tested at a radiator shop if it's really old, and you know it's never been out of the car. If it's old...have it rodded out, or get a newer one. Be sure your pressure cap is good(last thing everyone chks). Leaks? Look at the inside of the bonnet to see if it has been slinging water. Shake your fan blades to see if pump is ok. Could you have an air bubble in the heater circuit? Timing set right? How bad does it overheat? Clear into the nuclear area? or just below boil? Have you changed the coolant regularily? Backflushed it?
    Gotta manual?

ya gotta have a clogged rad. mine used to leak, hole was on the top so it ran about a gallon short almost all the time and cause i'm cheap i stopped adding coolant and with just a couple of gallons of water it still ran at normal temps
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

I'll thradh my 88 down the freeway at 3800rpm for a couple of hours and she doesn't get over 3/4 up the temp gauge.

Things that affect temp other than the aforementioned clogged radiator and thermostat:
    - Make sure you have a fan shroud. It makes a difference in forcing the fan to pull air through the rad instead of just churning it around in the engine bay.
    - MAke sure the fan is on the right way round so you are pulling and not pushing air.
    - Timing. Incorrect timing and a toolean fuel mixture will cause temps to rise.
    - Wash the front and rear of the rad with a hose to unclog the fins.
    - Replace any old hoses.
    - Cracked head/block.

Do a search as there have been inumerable posts on overhaeting issues.

Default overheating continued

the radiator is new

the fan is non correctly

the shroud is not on, but overheating occurs even on cold winter days in maine.

the timing is good (checked with a strobe).

the engine is almost maxed out on the temp gage, by the way.

what about mixture, does a lean engine run hot? would it cause it to completely red line?

Thanks all for the help.

Is the engine, in fact, running hot? Or is it just indicating hot?

Is the fan belt missing?

Is the cooling system full and free of air?

Was the onset of the problem sudden or gradual?

Is the coolant or the engine oil milky and coagulated?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Are you sure it's actually running hot, or is it possible that the gauge is reading wrong?

the engine has always run hot, ever since i rebuilt it.

the coolant is not milky.

the engine loses power when it redlines.

there is no squeeking, so i assume the belt is fine. i'll double check though.

if i open the radiator (cool engine) should i eventually see flow out of the top hose as the engine warms?