Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of 300tdi/R380 install?

I love my V8s. I have a 3.5 110 and a 3.5 130. Also a 4.6 Classic. I also have 2 200 Tdi Disco, a 200 Tdi 110 and just bought a 300 Tdi Disco.

The 130 is an expedition vehicle. The 110 Tdi has a rotten bulkhead, so all the mechanics is going to be transplanted into the 130 to make it more useable on a long run. I will get a longer range out of the fuel tank, and carrying spare fuel is safer. (btw, I was quoted about £1,000 to do the conversion)

Given the choice, I would have chosen a 200 Tdi engine. Why? It's simpler than the 300. The 300 has the serpintine belt with noisey tensioners, EGR systems, head gaskets failures, dog-leg gasket failures, etc. But the 200 just keeps going. And, in my experience, you sometimes get a good 300 engine, but most of the time they don't have as much poke as a 200.

And if I'm being really, really honest, they are just as quick as the V8s when you're moving. Not as quick from a standing start, but once rolling they pull well. Infact my Tdi 5 speed Defender will easily outrun my 4 speed with overdrive V8 110.

Tdi's just dont sound as good as the V8s though...

Mind you, a tuned TD5....raaaa!!

Tried the Youtube box thingie...didn't work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cidnFAa8XEU

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Also UK gallons are a bit bigger...
    They're also a fair bit wetter, which also helps when computing MPG.

I did not know that. How is the wetness measured?

Quote Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post
    They're also a fair bit wetter, which also helps when computing MPG.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    I did not know that. How is the wetness measured?
    In MUs (Misery Units)

I got a pretty good deal on my 300Tdi and R380 gearbox. Cost me £900 for the pair complete with everything else I needed to stuff them into my 110. Took a bit of a chance on the sellers claim that all was good, and luckily it turned out well. Shipping to Halifax was about $400. Shipping to me in Ontario was another $150. I bought a timing belt kit and a complete exhaust system. Also got a block heater. Couple buddies and I installed it and that cost me a couple lunches and a dinners. So for a bit less then 3 grand, I think I did pretty well. Then I was able to recoup a nice amount selling the short bell housing R380 I removed from my truck. Could have got more back but held on to the 2.5 NA diesel engine for my series.

So yeah, if you are lucky, it can be done for a reasonable cost. Certainly helps if you are fairly handy and have some switched on Land Rover friends willing to help out.

Engine has been in the 110 for two years now as of this weekend.

Brett
    Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

Not sure where the floods of 200 and 300 tdi engines are coming from or who is getting them in, or if its even happening, but keep in mind these engines are not approved by the epa and are therefore not legal for highway use in the US. I think sending $3k to some dude in the UK for a clapped out engine with a salt rotted radiator, from a car with unknown milage (funny how they always state its 80-100k miles) is a case of fool and his money easliy parted-but most of us have taken the risk and thats the only way it happens cheap. Why is because LRNA never tried to offer them and never petitioned to have them approved. A 1989 200 tdi is a legal engine this year (epa 21yr rule)- but it cannot be in a 1985 110 when imported as the original engine is supposed to be in that truck for it to be a legal import per the letter of the law. Don't mean to sound negative but like Carey,Matt, and Dave, I think you have the wrong impressions. All four of us have spent a ton of time with these engines. Also the 200 and 300 Tdi's are exactly the same size and displacements, one is mounted further forward because of the transmission inputshaft/bellhousing length than the other. BTW Daves backyard install rivals my factory one....oooopps.
    DividingCreekImports.com
    Tdi 130 Crew Cab x2
    110 V8 5 door

Quote Originally Posted by Z O O R O P A View Post

some US owners on a US overland site reported this week the following;

low to mid 20s on a Defender 130 @ 65mph, 300tdi
    That was me before tweaking the pump for more torque

65 seems to be that magic number where economy drops dramatically. The engine will cheerfully catepult you down the road faster..
    DividingCreekImports.com
    Tdi 130 Crew Cab x2
    110 V8 5 door

There is no way to inoculate yourself against unexpected expenditures by reading web advice, even advice from the very-qualified. If you've never done or budgeted for a big project before (on your car, your house, your lawn, whatever) then you are going to mess up the cost and time estimate. Even pros have cost overruns all the time, its nothing to be ashamed of, but its something that should be understood. Bottom line: Once you figure out what you think your cost will be for the project, don't bother starting unless you can afford to spend at least twice that figure.

That being said, you can substitute your time for $$ in some cases - i.e take a drive shaft out and have it shortened for a hundred bucks instead of buying replacements etc. But then of course you have to know what dimensions you need etc.

Good luck, but don't come back claiming victory if you do a cheap install and have any parts from Home Depot or Lowe's under the hood.

Now its my turn end a mildly insulting message with a smiley

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Good luck, but don't come back claiming victory if you do a cheap install and have any parts from Home Depot or Lowe's under the hood.
    Jim that's too funny. Try as I might, I can never get the parts from Home Depot to fit.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."