Thread: About to pull oil pan

Default About to pull oil pan

About to pull the oil pan on my 96 4.0 she has 135000miles. You guys have any tips for me??? I am also pulling the sump pipe and putting both in a parts clearner is this a good idea....have gaskets for both

Default Messy job

Quote Originally Posted by Landlover.Hunter View Post
    About to pull the oil pan on my 96 4.0 she has 135000miles. You guys have any tips for me??? I am also pulling the sump pipe and putting both in a parts clearner is this a good idea....have gaskets for both

First, drain oil... Don't forget the O rings for the oil lines that pass through the sump.

Not too hard. I had to replace the gasket on mine as well... went smooth enough. Remember where all the bolts fit. Long vs. short. There also bolts that fit through the trans housing from the rear, socket extension will be needed.

Lastly, torque all bolts to recommended setting and sequence. A LR Shop Manual will have all of the particulars, including where to apply RTV sealants.

Cheers,
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)