Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please: swivel ball gaiters

Default Opinions Please: swivel ball gaiters

I've get 'em, but floundering on deciding whether or not to install. While it seems they would protect the swivels, it also seems they might trap moisture and crud, and cause corrosion to happen quicker. Mine are the leather type BTW. Any feedback?
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

I do not use them because from what I've read they have a greater potential to do more harm than good.
    Jim

Default I have the Bailcast neoprene gaiters.

IIRC they were designed for the British Army.

They completely seal the balls from the outside - there is no way for anything to get in, if installed correctly. I've checked underneath them and nothing comes out but a little 90wt.

Just my HO.

They work. I've attached a photo of the front Salisbury I just purchased that I'm pretty sure sat in a swamp somewhere in England for 10 years before ending up in my shop.........the difference between the exterior condition of the axle v swivels is a pretty good argument for gaiters.

I've got 'em on mine and pulled one back for an inspection recently. To my novice eye, the swivels look in great shape.
    The gators themselves are soaked with oil, no doubt from the various leaks under the truck, which seems to serve as an added protection.

Default Yes

I agree with CMorris. Same deal on my truck. I think they made the difference between ruined swivels and the perfectly chromed ones I found underneath the old nasty gators. I had to blast down the axles to clean them up.
    1970 88 IIA

With the leather gators I think the answer depends upon where you live and drive.

Oil soaked leather gators are water resistant but the seam is not water proof. So wading can trap water and resulting high humidity inside. They are great for dry desert to keep sharp sand particles from abrading the edges of the oil seal and they seem to work on salted roads to keep the salt off during the winter. If I lived in such a place, I think I would have them on during the winter and unlace them so air can get in during the summer months.

Over the years I have heard a lot of stories of people who had gators on for years & found badly pitted balls and lots of moisture inside. I had them on my truck for about 5 years and checked them every once and a while. Each time there was a lot of moisture trapped inside on the balls. I got worried about the moisture trapped inside my oiled leather gators and took them off. I've gone without since then.

I have no experience with the new rubber style.

The trick with the leather gaiters is that the laced joint should be in the 6 o-clock position i.e. pointing straight down. Water that gets through the laced joint can then get back out. Its a shield and not a hermetic seal.

Obviously any deep mud work or other such activity that can force muck inside would merit opening the gaiter up and cleaning inside as part of your post use maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
    The trick with the leather gaiters is that the laced joint should be in the 6 o-clock position i.e. pointing straight down.
    That's the way I have always installed mine, for the reason stated. However, I believe that the fitting instructions show the laced seam at the top (12 o'clock).

they are ok for general use bad for use in mud/water. Silt will build up in the bottom