Thread: Opinions Please: swivel ball gaiters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Opinions Please: swivel ball gaiters

I've get 'em, but floundering on deciding whether or not to install. While it seems they would protect the swivels, it also seems they might trap moisture and crud, and cause corrosion to happen quicker. Mine are the leather type BTW. Any feedback?
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

I do not use them because from what I've read they have a greater potential to do more harm than good.
    Jim

Default I have the Bailcast neoprene gaiters.

IIRC they were designed for the British Army.

They completely seal the balls from the outside - there is no way for anything to get in, if installed correctly. I've checked underneath them and nothing comes out but a little 90wt.

Just my HO.

They work. I've attached a photo of the front Salisbury I just purchased that I'm pretty sure sat in a swamp somewhere in England for 10 years before ending up in my shop.........the difference between the exterior condition of the axle v swivels is a pretty good argument for gaiters.

I've got 'em on mine and pulled one back for an inspection recently. To my novice eye, the swivels look in great shape.
    The gators themselves are soaked with oil, no doubt from the various leaks under the truck, which seems to serve as an added protection.

Default Yes

I agree with CMorris. Same deal on my truck. I think they made the difference between ruined swivels and the perfectly chromed ones I found underneath the old nasty gators. I had to blast down the axles to clean them up.
    1970 88 IIA