Thread: Steering wheel locked??

Default Steering wheel locked??

I've got a 2002 Discovery. This has happened twice in one week. When going to put the key into the ignition the steering wheel will lock and the ignition/key will not turn. No matter what you do everything is locked up (wheel and ignition). I have to wait a half hour until it finally gives just enough so I can turn the key to start.

Is this something to do with the alarm system shutting everything down?

Thanks

Nope- the steering wheel lock is a mechanical lock independent of the alarm system. It gets set after you turn off the Disco and turn the wheel to a certain point. You may even do it without even knowing, such as getting in the Disco and moving the steering wheel with your leg.
    The only suggestion that I have is to make sure the front wheels are pointing straight ahead. If they are turned, I have experienced that is it quite difficult to get the steering column to unlock.
    I would have the key cylinder checked as soon as possible. That also may be to the point of being worn.