Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New" '77 Series III

Default "New" '77 Series III

Hey all. I just got my first Land Rover. A '77 Series III 109" 2.6L. She has a solid frame and is in pretty good shape. Getting a new head gasket this weekend. What are the things I should go ahead and change out to make it as reliable as possible? What about a disc brake conversion? Seat belts? I have so many questions. Looking forward to being hooked on my Land Rover.

Also, how do I add pics??

Thanks!!!

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Welcome to the Rovers North forum. Here is how you post photos.
    http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2895
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by coltsphan View Post
    Hey all. I just got my first Land Rover. A '77 Series III 109" 2.6L. She has a solid frame and is in pretty good shape. Getting a new head gasket this weekend. What are the things I should go ahead and change out to make it as reliable as possible? What about a disc brake conversion? Seat belts? I have so many questions. Looking forward to being hooked on my Land Rover.

Thanks!!!
    Buy the manual and perform a major service on all systems to ensure they are up to snuff. On a 2.6L this especially means setting the valves. Drive it to get used to the truck before you open your wallet. You'll quickly determine what needs work and what are just quirks of a 30+ year old truck.

Seat belts are an obvious upgrade requirement. I also like to swap in high back seats as I have family experience of the result of a rear end shunt. What is now a persistent debilitating injury would have been deadly in standard series seats.

Post in the series technical section and you'll get way more answers.

What are the things I should go ahead and change out to make it as reliable as possible?
    You can start with changing out the 2.6.

Thanks!!!
    Find the search button at the top of the forum. Plug in what you are looking for as far as your questions above.

This place has tons of knowledge but try searching for answers before asking, believe me your not the first to ask those!

Good luck and have fun.

O, and get rid of the 6cyl.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

OK. Change the 2.6 to what? i saw a thread with alink to site that does 4cyl GM motors. Any other suggestions?

OK. Change the 2.6 to what? i saw a thread with alink to site that does 4cyl GM motors. Any other suggestions?
    Info for ya: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/#engine
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

The 6 cyl bulkhead will allow some more engine swap options if that is the way you go. The is a guy that did Mercedes diesel swaps in an 88 and a 109 and he used the 6 bulkhead to make for a better fit. He also changed out a ton of other stuff but that's him.

Is your's LHD or RHD? I recently saw a 3.9 V8 swap in a IIa 109 that looked very nice-and sounded mean. It was much easier as a RHD but even swapping LHD for RHD that isn't that difficult.
    The site posted above is full of great info related to Series Rovers.
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

The photo link does not work.
    72 SIII