Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1991 RC dies at random

what color is the smoke?

Hey there:

Do you get a cel light when its running bad? I had similar problems at one point. New dist cap, rotor, wires and plugs made a big difference, but the ultimate solution was a ignition module and distributor from a 94 disco in the pick n pull.

Best of luck to you.

Daniel

Default Smoke...

Quote Originally Posted by mongoswede View Post
    what color is the smoke?
    Not a dark blue or heavy black and not billowing. But more grey and like it was eating carb cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
    Hey there:

Do you get a cel light when its running bad? I had similar problems at one point. New dist cap, rotor, wires and plugs made a big difference, but the ultimate solution was a ignition module and distributor from a 94 disco in the pick n pull.

Best of luck to you.

Daniel
    Uhhh.... what is a cel light? Sorry.

I traded the fuel pump with a know to be working fuel pump out of an 89. (also mine) Ran great for 20 minutes. Went in the house and gave myself positive affirmations. Went out to take my wife to dinner to celebrate and it started, died and now I'm sleeping in the car.

Guess I better start replacing ignition module and wire, cap rotor...

CEL = Check Engine Light

Replace and test one thing at a time, otherwise you'll never know what it was. Follow the checks in the service manual for the ignition components.

Default Status

I followed the GM transplant of the ignition amplifier to the fender wall.
    I used BWD part #CBE4Z and a coil (3.25ohms) #E520P. Built a heat sink that would cool a welding torch. Adjusted the timing a little bit and the thing runs better than it has in years. I test drove it several times and for hours. All good.

My wife gets in it and backs out of the driveway and it dies. Won't start.
    I got it going again, but more white clouds of smoke out the back and a very rough running engine, struggling to keep alive. Let it rest for a few hours and she runs great.

I'll go through the service manual's diagnostics, like I should have in the beginning.

Default runs/dies/runs (I'm late here)

Check your fuel filter if your state recently changed over to the methanol gas. That stuff SUCKS, and cleans out stuff that shoulda been left alone, and plugs the fuel filter. RR filters aren't very large, and plug easier than many US cars. After my first(42 gal) tank of that junk, my 97 Suburbans fuel filter plugged on a long distance drive home from vacation, with car full to the brim and towing a boat. 100 degrees in the desert. Happy camper. Methanol is a scourge, and the biggest scam going.
    Hope you have it by now.
    Regards-Jeff

Default I think it's gone.

After the conversion to the Chev amplifier and coil, it did act up one day. But it's run like a champ since. I think that may have been the problem.
    I did replace the fuel filter early in the game and it made no difference.
    But, thank you for the reply.