Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive Series on Ebay

I'm wondering what happened to the front side marker lights???

Quote Originally Posted by JimCT View Post
    ... I just don't get it.
    jim they (and me too) love to poke fun of those who do what they (we) can't do. that is dump a huge amount of time and money into a rove and sell it. for me i would love to sell mine but i won't let me so instead i'll make fun of those who aren't as psychotic as i, we, me, them....
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Well, here are a few random thoughts.

Seems that the worst trouble with selling on Ebay is that it may take four or five auctions until you actually find someone with the money. How many of these have we seen that keep reappearing? And often the final "real" sales price is a bit lower than the "initial" sales price.

And, look at the bidders slug it out with days to go, rather than with ten seconds to go. Just dumber than dirt... (from a buyers perspective, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by 83lee View Post

And, look at the bidders slug it out with days to go, rather than with ten seconds to go. Just dumber than dirt... (from a buyers perspective, anyway).
    It doesn't work quite like that anymore... As the buyer you set a price you're willing to pay, and ebay automatically keeps bidding up to that price.

So if I bid $100.00 on a car that's going for $1.00 with no bids my bid stays at $1.00. Then someone else comes along and bids $50.00, my bid will automatically raise to $50.01 and so on until it goes up past $100.00.

So if you wait till the last ten seconds and you don't put in a bid that is higher than everyone elses you'll lose it. Bottom line is that you don't necessarily save money by waiting till last minute and you very much increase your chances of not getting the car. Of course, this assumes getting the car is more important than staying in a budget...

Looks a lot like mine, but not as good. Obviously the person who did my resto was Jac04.

Anyway, believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there (like me) who dont want to get a Series and work on it every weekend. Mainly because we dont have the time or detailed knowledge. We want to drive it for pleasure, use it as our weekend runabout, and not necessarily always off road either. To quote Richard Hammond "use it for something important", like taking kids to get ice cream or going to play golf!

I dont even expect it to break down ( I know, call me naive), but when it does I will be on the phone to Trevor at Roverlab seeking assistance. I believe in mom & pop shops sustaining the economy

I dont believe this Ebay item is a scam. If I did not have my series, I would do some homework on that vehicle and start bidding if all was legitimate. So yes, we are prepared to pay a premium for quality. And as Jac says, if someone wants his LW, they will find him, and he will eventually get the price it deserves.

Ivar

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think that is the first door plate I've seen, when did they start putting those on?
    Um....What's a door plate?

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    Um....What's a door plate?

In one of the photo's it shows a data/build plate inside the door jam.

(to everyone) I also noticed the mention of a CD changer- I can't imagine that working unless it is supported by some very effective anti-vibration gel. Even fully restored, a Rover is a bouncy ride and CD's don't like getting knocked about. I did see in the questions in the ad that the seller has not installed speakers, so why the CD changer??
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    In one of the photo's it shows a data/build plate inside the door jam.
    Oh - thanks. I thought they all had 'em.

There is confusion when it comes to rebuilds vs. restorations. It is interesting to see the different approach different owners will go to when they perform one or the other. Restorations often require exhaustive refurbishment and lengthy searches for NOS and rare correct parts, labels, etc. This 88 is a rebuild, built by picking and choosing off the shelf parts, without a real effort at preserving the originality of the vehicle through an exacting restoration process. Checkbook mecanno- Open wallet install new parts, done.

Having said that there is nothing wrong with that as long as the buyer knows what he is looking for and gets what he wants. It is a free market and I think it is cool to see a rebuilt 88 get such attention. Maybe the market is turning around for these things.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

WOW! We are up to $22,000!! I am just really excited to see this thing go up to that price. Its hard to think that it started out at $200 and now we are up to this price.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB