Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive Series on Ebay

Ivarra, my post stating this was a scam was placed with humor in mind.

Regarding the observations on paint mismatch, a common error made in painting when panels are off the vehicle and done over time can be due to not mixing the paint for long enough. Pigments settle and if you're doing old skool paint stick stirring, you will get color variations from the same can of paint.
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Quote Originally Posted by crankin View Post
    My 72 was born in Feb...it has the door plates too. So, at least we know that June '71 they could be staples
    I have a door plate on my Dec 1970, so that's the new low.
    1970 88 IIA

No door plate on my 64-but I'm not sure if one is supposed to be there or not. My guess would be around 68 these showed up as part of some new DOT regs.

22K -wow that is a lot.( I better not tell my wife about this-she'll get some level headed ideas for sure!)
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    No door plate on my 64-but I'm not sure if one is supposed to be there or not. My guess would be around 68 these showed up as part of some new DOT regs.

22K -wow that is a lot.( I better not tell my wife about this-she'll get some level headed ideas for sure!)

Ha! Come home and the rover will have a for sale side in the window?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    In one of the photo's it shows a data/build plate inside the door jam.

(to everyone) I also noticed the mention of a CD changer- I can't imagine that working unless it is supported by some very effective anti-vibration gel. Even fully restored, a Rover is a bouncy ride and CD's don't like getting knocked about. I did see in the questions in the ad that the seller has not installed speakers, so why the CD changer??

I'm just guessing here, but probably didnt know where to install them. From several other threads posted on here I know I'm not the only one that's really struggling with WHERE to install/place speakers so that they'll be out of the way and work OK without cutting the body apart.

Quote Originally Posted by JackIIA View Post
    I have a door plate on my Dec 1970, so that's the new low.
    Mine is 3 / 70.....

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    Mine is 3 / 70.....
    DOH !
    1970 88 IIA

Kinda feel sorry for the buyer of this truck, certainly will get a nice ride but will miss out on the "bonding" that comes from working on it. I bought mine off e-bay, advertised as in excellent mechanical condition but as my post history can attest it wasn't. I may have spent a lot more money in repairs on it than intended but the knowledge and understanding that I acquired in the process was very much worth it.

Different strokes for different folks.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Quote Originally Posted by amcordo View Post
    I'm just guessing here, but probably didnt know where to install them. From several other threads posted on here I know I'm not the only one that's really struggling with WHERE to install/place speakers so that they'll be out of the way and work OK without cutting the body apart.
    a little OT but mine has pie plate sized speakers right behind the door jams along the side of the top. They are not hooked up but it appears the PO had a radio in at one time and ran the speaker wires along the door tops to the speakers. You don't have as much room in the 109 but something along those lines might work.
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt

Quote Originally Posted by bmohan55 View Post
    Kinda feel sorry for the buyer of this truck, certainly will get a nice ride but will miss out on the "bonding" that comes from working on it. I bought mine off e-bay, advertised as in excellent mechanical condition but as my post history can attest it wasn't. I may have spent a lot more money in repairs on it than intended but the knowledge and understanding that I acquired in the process was very much worth it.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Yeah I guess. I'll admit to being hesitant in buying mine due to it being too clean and not having a lot to do but in the end the price/deal won out.
    This one is in "The OC" after all where there is a HUGE amount of classic cars and trucks and high end exotics so buying it that way is pretty normal.
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt