Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch still slipping

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    jp

"Certain coil spring cover assemblies...
    Diaphragm types don't use coil springs. Only the borg & beck and long finger types use coil springs. See the above link in my earlier post.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

jp

i left 'em on 'til i had the prs/plt bolted on. mine is a 9 1/2" Bork & Beck. i haven't put the tranny back in yet but i'm inclined to leave the spacers and he bolts that held them in off per B&B's directions
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Borg & Beck is a manufacturer of pressure plates, as well as a specific type. You may have a Borg & Beck made plate, but if it looks like the one in your photo, it is a diaphragm type.

You don't want to remove those bolts. You really don't want to remove those bolts...

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Just to reiderate what everyone else is saying, make sure your pressure plate is still good, if the clutch feels light this is probably your problem. the pin going into the slave cylinder is easily adjustable ( atleast on my series IIA's). The last bit of advice is to look down through the top hole on the bell housing and make sure your throwout bearing is seated and that when your off the clutch, you should be able to have a tiny bit of play forward and back on the throwout bearing.

clive thanks for pointing out that veiw port on the top of the bell housing.

jp here are those new p/p pics

Last edited by scott; 11-08-2007 at 08:33 PM.
    '76 Spitfire 1500

Just to ensure credit to the right guy the view port into the bell housing was CliftonRovers idea...but this is proving to be a very useful thread and I have learnt a whole bunch about clutches on series trucks and mine must be the diapram type (no tabs to remove). Meantime I hope NorthOceanBeach is making progress resolving his slippping clutch...

oh yea i almost forgot, how's it going northocean? i didn't me to highjack your thread.

i'm thinking maybe red clips removed but the bolts that held 'em reinserted. the yellow arow is pointing to a piece (tab) that looks like it should be bolted down. jp, any one else, what do you think?
    '76 Spitfire 1500

Scott,

I've never seen those tabs painted red, but I'm pretty sure that they're supposed to be there. I think I've got an old plate laying around that I can check later today or tomorrow.

Here's another clutch link for you.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Dp_...zUs2C39gCA1ue8

I hope I am too. Here's the latest development.

My neighbor said that it really seems that something is keeping the clutch just a little diengaged. He recommended that I undo the bolts on the slave cylinder and if it pushed itself off as I undid the bots that would be a sign. So I undid the bolts a bit and the slave did push away. I can apply moderate pressure and push it back in place but it does feel like it's pushing. Does this make any sense? And if so what should I do about it.

ALso does the series 3 have a hole to look into see the throwout bhearing? I don't remember seeing one when I put the new clutch in, but I also wasn't looking for one.

Yes, there is an inspection cover on the bell housing just infront of the gear stick. Shine a flash light down there and you can see the clutch operation when it is depressed and released.