Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clutch still slipping

north

the length of that rise you got when loosening the slave, can you shorten the linkage below the slave by the an equal distance?
    Last edited by scott; 03-09-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

How would you shorten the slave linkage? I already have the clutch master linkage adjusted so there is free play and I thought that the series three slave has no adjustment.

My SIII has no adjustment capability on the slave rod. Can you measure it or photograph it?

Yeah, I can go out today and snap a few. I just don't get what would do this. Maybe it's not releasing pressure so the slave is always pushing the pin a little or maybe the pin is too long.

sorry you iii ers. mine's a iia and my slave rod is adjustalbe. i can post a pic tonight. north did you get your view hole openned? could your throw out assembly not be seated? it seems it'd have to be that or maybe your clutch pedal return spring? would the wieght of a clutch pedal be enough to push the master cylinder piston enough to compress the fluid enough to push the slave cylinder piston enough to move the linkage enough to partially compress the diaphrm style spring which i hear takes ~200 lbs to full compress?

jp anymore thoughts on the red things on my new diaphram style pressure plate, the instuctions to remove 'em and your thinking they should stay?
    Last edited by scott; 03-10-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    '76 Spitfire 1500

the iii's don't have this linkage?

as for the red clips. i figured it out. i took 'em off the old one to see what they do and jp was right, you don't want to remove 'em. the pressure plate separated from the diaphragm and casing. as for 'em being painted red, well that’s probably just a cruel joke perpetrated by a bored assembler at the plant meant to mess with the mind of a guy who tends to over think stuff
    Last edited by scott; 11-08-2007 at 08:33 PM.
    '76 Spitfire 1500

Scott,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread. I couldn't find my old pressure plate, but yeah, you want to leave everything as it came. They shouldn't have painted the tabs red; probably ran out of black paint.
    Last edited by jp-; 03-12-2007 at 11:06 AM.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

By the way,

I'm thinking of changing my comment below to read:

-There's nothing harder than convincing someone who is certain that he's right, that he's wrong.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Moderators:

Can I get some more characters for my signature field? It only allows me 150, and I'm at the limit.

Can I buy a vowel???

initially you may not have convinced me that i was wrong but you did stop me from puttin that tranny back in. and it was you saying that you were going to go look for an old p/p that had me saying to myself, "hey i got one, why don't i just take it apart..." and anyway, the red clips are in the tranny is in, the doors seats and floor boards aren't but i'm having fun driving it and that what counts. so did north's stop slipping?
    '76 Spitfire 1500