Thread: Front brake lock up ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Front brake lock up ?

Went out this evening for a bit in the Disco, and at one point had to get on the brake fairly hard as a car cut in front. Later after stopping to get something at a store, I felt the truck a bit sluggish like an emergency brake was on as driving home, but since it clearly wasn't I kept driving. After stopping at a red light, I heard a noise come from the wheel/brake area (like overcoming a brake on), so I pulled over - and noticed a locked up right front brake, and smoke coming from it actually from driving with it locked/seized up.

Any idea what happened here, and if there is something other than new pads to worry about in the morning ??

thanks,

You have a seized caliper, new pads aren't going to fix that.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

So, any update on this?
    Have you managed to un-freeze the errant calliper?
    We await with bated breath !

Anyone out there with a machine shop and CNC could make a lot of $$$ and alot of rover friends if they made stainless steel caliper rebuilds for these hogs! I have to to this ever two yearsor so, but then again I'm by the coast. Pretty simple fix.
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten should not even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back"

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoiron View Post
    Went out this evening for a bit in the Disco, and at one point had to get on the brake fairly hard as a car cut in front. Later after stopping to get something at a store, I felt the truck a bit sluggish like an emergency brake was on as driving home, but since it clearly wasn't I kept driving. After stopping at a red light, I heard a noise come from the wheel/brake area (like overcoming a brake on), so I pulled over - and noticed a locked up right front brake, and smoke coming from it actually from driving with it locked/seized up.

Any idea what happened here, and if there is something other than new pads to worry about in the morning ??

thanks,
    If locking happens intermittently, it might be brake booster malfunction.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake05.pdf

See page 9 of 17 if the description matches your problem.
    Disco II, 2000, 90K mi, Northern NJ - http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/Discovery_2000/