Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Over Axle

Default Spring Over

Jay,
    Im happy to answer any questions you have via email. lemurstew@aol.com. I will say there is no reason you cannot have a sprung over truck that is very streetable even more streetable than a stock series. Ive put many cross country trips on sprung over rovers and when done right offer an excellent ride that is far more comfortable than a standard leafsprung series rover. Look at all the leafsprung rigs that ride nicely: FJ60, wagoneer, etc. They all have long flat springs. Limit your lift as much as possible; 3 inches of lift is all I would ever want. make sure you are compensating for the lift by widening the track. Stable trucks are capable. Tippy trucks suck.

How much would you recommend widening the track to compensate for a 3 inch spring over lift? Could that be done just be getting getting rover pattern wheels with less backspacing?

Quote Originally Posted by slorocco
    How much would you recommend widening the track to compensate for a 3 inch spring over lift? Could that be done just be getting getting rover pattern wheels with less backspacing?
    A commonly accepted rule of thumb is that you need to move the outer edge of the tyres 1one and a half inches farther appart for each inch of lift in order to maintain the same side to side centre of gravity.

Using that the answer would be 4.5"

Coiler axles, offset or wider wheels, wheel spacers, etc.

Thanks TeriAnn,

So you're saying widen the wheel track by that much right, as opposed to moving each wheel out that far?

Quote Originally Posted by slorocco
    Thanks TeriAnn,

So you're saying widen the wheel track by that much right, as opposed to moving each wheel out that far?
    Correctamondo

Default width

Make it as wide as you can reasonably. My wheeler is 10 inches wider in track than a stock 109. It handles off camber stuff so much better than a stock truck. Feels glued to the trail. Coiler axles are 4 inches wider than series 2/2a/3 FJ60 axles are about the same. On the setup pictured we used Fj60 axles and wheels with greater offset. It has a 7 inch wider track than stock.

Default Width

Around here one of the nice things about a rover is how narrow it is. Trails around here are usually limited my the space between trees...an extra 10" of track would not help.

I know what you mean about the narrow trails. I'm in the mid atlantic area and have the same issues. Still, I'd like the stability of a bit wider track, especially when I add the weight of a roll bar/cage. I'm trying to decide between the rover front and Sals rear set up I have now or going to a full width Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear. I have both on hand to I could easily go either way.

Default Track

Theres plenty of tight narrow trails in Oregon as well. Especially in tillamook NF. One thing about a rover is that the stock track is so far inside the lines of the body that you can extend it significantly before it starts to affect your overall width. When the tires are your widest point you become less worried about the body. You go through tight spots knowing the tires will contact any trail obstacles before the sheet metal. Even at 10 inches wider than stock, its easier to wheel in tight spots than a discovery. When you get to off camber spots it just walks through them instead of tipping:

Leafsprung, I couldn't have said it better. Been in many situations like your picture.