Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gearbox oil leak

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    I came to grips with the fact that these things are going to leak somewhere, hence my screen name....
    You can either spend time chasing your tail or just have fun and drive the thing.
    Im of the same mind - and not because I have the expertise of "I Leak Oil" but because trying to solve the leaks is just too darned frustrating...

An oil leak from the gearbox could easily be the real main seal too - just migrating backwards (and as others have said, rust proofing everything). Breather is also likely.

Keep 'em topped up and enjoy driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    Im of the same mind - and not because I have the expertise of "I Leak Oil" but because trying to solve the leaks is just too darned frustrating...

An oil leak from the gearbox could easily be the real main seal too - just migrating backwards (and as others have said, rust proofing everything). Breather is also likely.

Keep 'em topped up and enjoy driving it.
    IM not opposed to that. god knows I have owned enough trucks in my life where this is the case...

But I am 100% certain its the gearbox and to get more familiar with these truck the best way is tear into them..

Believe me.. after doing it once, im not looking forward to doing it again..
    1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
    1974 SIII 109" RHD

Hello,
    I am tracing the oil leak in S2a transmission after getting oil pond of size 2x3 feets through one month of stop during Summar (45C) suspecting worn part is their.

Clean the gearbox/transfercase and fill it with oil "140" I found the front and back of transfer case is dropping the newly added oil. The question here are these leak due to O seal? Are replacing would stop the leak?

(My plan to repair worn and leave design matter; therefore, 1st week fill the transmission with oil, clean the outside serface and monitor any leak for a week (currently in it), 2nd week drive it at low speed and monitor leak source, 3rd week drive it at full speed+overdrive and monitor the leak).

Looking for hint on transfer case leak. Thanks.

Most of our local auto parts stores sell UV dye and a UV magnifying light. Pour a bit of dye into the oil, drive around, and take a look. It is magical for finding stuff like this.

I'd be afraid that my engine bay would look like a cheap hotel room under a black light.

Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sailor View Post
    I'd be afraid that my engine bay would look like a cheap hotel room under a black light.

Scary.
    and the garage and driveway like a ****** scene . . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

I know this is an older thread, but I fixed the selector leaks with the 5/8" heater hose idea. I left the rings a little proud so the 2 retainer halves would keep pressure on them. I did have to trim the circumference of each ring as reverse has a wide diameter. A cool trick would be to 3D print or machine a set of retainers that could allow for the heater hose rings to go over the existing selector seals. This would prevent having to split the top case cover.

While I was under there I noticed leaks from the transfer case from the selector seal and transfer shaft cover. I put another o-ring over the original selector seal and 4WD pin. I put RTV on the cover and let it set overnight. So far it seems to have handled the majority of the puddles. I still have a small drip from the bottom transfer case cover, but that is normal. I do have a Toro overdrive which has some leaking issues which I need to tackle next.

I have not bought any oil seals for some time but the OEM seals used to be leather with a spring around them. i've saved some of them and may elect to re-use them as opposed to the regular rubber ones, when ever i get around to dealing with it but i usually just top up the boxes in the summer and let it leak !! I miss the E brake though so will prob deal with that sometime.