Thread: 2004 Discovery II

Default 2004 Discovery II

I took my 2004 Discovery II (84,000 miles) to the dealer to have a Valve Cover Gasket job done. Soon after leaving the dealer, I received a call from the advisor telling me that the car was leaking antifreeze and oil, thereby needed Head Gasket also. Expensive, but I authorized the repairs. Within 3 days, he called me to tell me that the car was ready. I went to pick it up. While driving back on my way home, I noticed that not only the idle was high and the car was shaking considerably at stop lights, but also the engine was knocking. I have to say that beside the valve Cover that was leaking, the car was running smoothly prior to the big repairs.

When I took the car back to the dealer, the advisor told me that it was normal for these model years to be rough. I know that his claims are false. But I would like your advice on this.

it is not normal at all. Having owned two series II discos, neither ran rough as you described. You need to take it back to the dealer and speak to the service manager and demand that the car get fixed correctly.

Take it back and raise hell!! When my car was under warranty and I took it to the Dealership to get stuff fixed, they would try to pull stuff like that all the time, Don't put up with it!!

I am deducting this was the same dealer that replaced the bulbs for the climate control system that we corresponded about. If true, this is a very interesting turn of events.
    First, the dealer is responsible for not only performing the original repairs you requested the right way, but they have an obligation to check for leaks and other defects as a result of the repair. So, when they replaced the valve cover gasket, you should have been immediately notified that there may, in fact, be an issue with the head gaskets.
    Second, it was after you left, not before, that the service advisor called you to inform you that were leaking antifreeze and oil, and required more service. Here, there are only two possibilities: (1) someone saw you leaving and noticed the fluids draining; or (2) someone noticed it before you picked up the Disco and waited to see how bad it was. Either way, someone noticed there was something dreadfully wrong, what the fluids were, and still let you drive away to the possible detriment to the condition of the engine.
    Third, after three days, you were informed the Disco was ready and could pick it up, but it had a high idle and was shaking at stoplights. This could be the result of what is commonly known as a "cold fast idle", in which the engine has no idea of the temp of the coolant and acts as if it is trying to reach the appropriate temp. The shaking and knocking would have to be from either poor quality gasoline, or regular octane gasoline. Your engine has a knock sensor in it to adjust to the fuel quality, but it just must be that bad.
    As there were no problems prior to the valve cover gaskets being replaced, and the service advisor attempted to explain the incompetence away with the "well, all of them run rough" excuse, you do have recourse here.
    What you must do, as there is now a contract between you and the dealership for work that is to be completed correctly, and for that service you paid for the work as requested. The dealership, therefore, is now legally obligated to correct any and all defects related not only to the work performed, but to the failure of any other parts as a result of their negligence and/or incompetence.
    The fact that you were blatantly lied to is genuine cause for concern, and although you cannot demand your money back as work and parts were performed and purchased, you can demand that any and all of these problems be immediately corrected at no cost to you with a warranty on the work and parts issued by the dealership. The degree to which the dealership will comply is based on the state and their applicable laws.
    If that does not work, take the Disco to an independent mechanic specializing in Land Rovers (Rovers North has a list), have an estimate completed and bring it to the dealer. If they refuse to accomodate you, by rights you have done everything you can. Call up Land Rover North America and file a formal complaint, which you will need as proof of your efforts when you go to court.
    This is the best advice I can give. I stongly advise that you confer with counsel in your state for the appropriate manner in which a lawsuit can be completed. I am not dispensing legal advice, but I am familiar in these matters with the process.
    -Thor

Default 2004 Discovery II

Thor,

Thank you! I do appreciate and value your kind advices. I will follow up with the steps.

-Rony

What City and State are you located in?

-Gary
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

Anytime. It just annoys me that of all things, they would use the oldest -and dumbest- excuse to explain away their incompetence. You're a repeat customer, so the least he could have done is tell you the truth. But then if he did, he wouldn't be making more money for the dealership.
    Check the list of Land Rover expert mechanics on the Rovers North website, and go to one of those. If the dealer fixes what was wrong, I still would not go back. Too much trust has been lost, and everytime they repaired something you would wonder if it was done correctly. Just not worth the hassle.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if when you take it back they find out that the tech either refit the plug wires incorrectly, or failed to seat the boots and ignition coil connections properly. If just one of those 16 connections is loose all hell can break loose causing misfires. Additionally, with secondary air injection comes all sorts of small vacuum fittings and brittle plastic hoses. That could be another area where a connection was failed to be made or is loose, or where a hose could have been damaged. Inproper or broken connections with these things can make your mass air flow sensor flip out.

If I were you, I'd open the bonnet and look around for any of those "simple" fixes. Either way, what the tech told you about all of them doing it is bunk.

Cottingham is right. I forgot that when I had the spark plugs and plug wires replaced, the tech wired the #7 to the #4 and vice versa. When the Disco was started the whole car shook and white smoke billowed out of the exhaust and smelled like spoiled eggs. When they were switched back to the correct firing order, everything was fine.
    The problem with the misfires is that once the engine operates this way for a time, the catalytic converters could be damaged beyond repair. Have someone check those as well, since if those go, there is no way you would pass state inspection. Remember, if they screwed up, they have to fix all the damaged parts as a result of the screw up.
    Unfortunately, to check the plug wires is quite difficult as they are behind the engine block and can only be accessed after removing the top of the engine. I was there when it was done for my Disco, and it is not pretty to see.
    I am unfamiliar with the secondary air injection in the 4.6L, but the reasoning is spot on.

just to let you all know I replaced my coils and plugwires on my wifes 2000 disco and while it is not easy you can do it without removing the top of the engine. You have to remove the driverside coilpack from the bracket that holds it to get it out. I found the diagram on the wire locations here on this form. It took me about 2 hrs. Hope you get this all straightened out with your dealer. I would check the wires though. they should be numbered just follow then and the diagram in this forum to check if they are in the right spot.