Thread: Headlamps not working

Default Headlamps not working

Anyone familiar with problem where the dash light shows the high beams are on when the lights turned on, but the lamps don't shine? Driving lights still working and got me home. Pulled fuses, all good.

Mike Cosgrove
    Huntsville, AL

If the dash is showing the high beams on, but there are no high beams, the headlamp bulbs need to be replaced (I am deducting that "driving lights" are either the low beams or the fog lights).
    If you have a '99-'02 Disco, there are two filaments in each headlamp bulb, one for low beam and one for high beam. You also have a "peanut" bulb in the headlamp that lights up whenever the parking or full lights are on.
    If you have an '03-'04 Disco, you have a separate bulb for the high beam and a separate bulb for the low beam. No "peanut" bulb that I have seen.
    Rovers North has xenon replacements, part #RNE880, $29.50 for the pair, which I use and highly recommend for the '99-'02 Disco. FYI, if you try to replace the other bulbs by going to the local auto store, no good. That peanut bulb has a specifc wattage and voltage that only Rovers North has.

Neither the regular or high beams are coming on, just the daylamp type illumination of the lights. Could it be the switch-arm on the column is broken or connection is not bad? Ever taken one apart?

I can only determine three reasons why the headlamps will not turn on: (1) the connection to the back of the headlamp from the wiring is loose; (2) the actuator in the stalk has failed; or (3) both headlamp bulbs are burned out.
    I have never taken the switch arm apart, but I have had to tighten the wire connector to the headlamps as they came loose as I drove (but the peanut bulbs still worked). If it is the switch arm, a new one has to be ordered as the old one was never designed to be repaired.
    Hope this helps.