Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The purists will hate this bed repair...

Default The purists will hate this bed repair...

I had the center section bent up, an had some sheet left over. I got out the rivet gun, and sent at it. I can't decide if I'm satisfied or not.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Paint it over and who cares or will notice? I have seen new cars comes from factory with "repairs", bondo, etc.:thumb. While the are standing there critiquing your rover in their smoking jacket, slippers, and pipe, you'll be out driving yours.

You won't see them anyway while driving and enjoying scennery. Paint and forget. Can't be worse than mine....

I don't think it looks bad at all. Did you bed it in with something like a seam sealer or epoxy?

Look good and works well. What wrong with it?

I put vinyl floor tiles over my tub floor!
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Default repair

Hey Bro, a few years ago Land Rover World used they same idea with one exception. The exception was to make it into a "U" shape and bed it in with good quality caulk. Oh, and pop rivets of course. It's done alot so "no worries" as Mr. Dundee would say.
    Jim Wolf

I start listening to "purists" when they start writing the checks.

(looks pretty good to me)
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

you could of had a 3/4 inch 90 degree bend put on the side that goes up the inside by the tailgate seals, make it large enough to cover up both rear panels. the galv. trim would hide exposed edges, seals in tailgate hide bent edges. the only way you could tell is if you looked at it from the bottom. you would have to drill holes for you lights etc. but you would have a smooth surface on the back.. I had a piece of aluminum made up so I could put an outside skin on my tail gate..not purest, bit it made the rear of the rover look alot more finished. and I insulated it in the spaces in the tailgate to help keep in the heat in the winter..a little quieter too. just my two cents..rove on..bobzinak

Be satisfied. You're not restoring, you're repairing. Looks good and functional. Nothing else really matters unless you're trying to make it to the concours d'elegance.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Travis,

I think you did a great job. Finish the tub up, and move on to the next repair.

-Gary
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow