Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The purists will hate this bed repair...

Looks great...job done, now if you spend too much on it you miss out on beer time.

Default Limited Edition

looks good, i like the fact that it's symmetrical and your rivets are evenly spaced. good job. you could add it down the sides paint it willow green and call it a LE then it would be worth more... well... seems to have worked for landrover with their LE D-90's.

Travis, I did something similar on a 2A I sold. The tub was perfect except for the corrosion at the 5 tabs, so I used a piece of 1/8" X 1 1/2", and went full width, from the inside edge of the galvy corner pieces. Once it was painted, you would have to look hard to seven notice. It certainly didn't stand out.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it.

I did bed it with panel adhesive, so I don't they'll be coming off any time soon. I considered just making new panels, and riveting them over the old ones, but thought this might look interesting. We'll see how it looks when its painted.

My only other issue is the back bottom sections of my bed (the parts that always get smashed. On is okay, but the other is really bad. The flanged part on one side has been bent so many times, its cracking and falling off. I can probably tig it, but ts gonna take a bunch of time to get it near straight and then I'm looking at body filler central. If anyone has any ideas, up to and including just cutting the back corners off flat, I'm up for listening.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Looks good. fits the mark. (sort of boiler plate). at least your lower rivets bite into the thicker inner alum. strip. Jeeps in New england have been covering rust holes w/ diamond plate for years, else where they may say it's for body protection???? If it had been a stop sign or other road sign , you'd loose the bonus points.

Too me coming up with improvised solutions is the a key essence of what and old Land Rover is all about. The people that made them famous traveling to the remote outreaches sure had work with what they could find so why shouldn't we?
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Travis,
    Like all the others said - you did a very good quality repair and that's a hall mark of being a good wrench!

You deserve a cold beer from whoever you can get it from - 'cause you know it's getting pretty hot this time of year...

Cheers!