Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dana front and rear thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoswede View Post
    Series III Stage 1 V8 Salisbury rear axle assembly:
    http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...lisbury&page=1 Shipping will likely be expensive.

the older units are available too. Do a search on that UK site under Land Rover Series & "Salisbury". If you decide to go that route you might ask around as some one else may be interested in shipping one as well...if it might cut down on shipping.

$US 571 isn't too bad! I'll try to find that invoice again to give you an idea of what shipping ran back in the day (late 90s). Or you can email them - they're helpful. This is all assuming a) you're interested in getting a nice salisbury, and b) have already asked our hosts if they've got one sitting around.

and PS I said it "won't be bad" but of course mongoswede is right that it'll be attrocious when compared to a domestic order. Probably quarter to half a grand easy. If you found other people willing to get them the cost would go down signficantly because it isn't the weight you'd be paying for, rather the logistics.

IF YOU THINK ABOUT GETTING THIS ORDER: I'll add something to the order to cut down on your cost a bit. They have disc brake conversion kits!! See the other thread...

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...lisbury&page=1 Shipping will likely be expensive.

the older units are available too. Do a search on that UK site under Land Rover Series & "Salisbury". If you decide to go that route you might ask around as some one else may be interested in shipping one as well...if it might cut down on shipping.

The trick to bringing large stuff over from the UK is to fill a containter. Spend the $4000 or $5000 or whatever the cost is these days and fill a 40' container with trucks and parts. I know RN and other suppliers do this from time to time. If you ask nice perhaps they would let you ad to one of their containers...not sure on this one...but its worth a try.

Wow, these guys have deep stock and I think this one might be the ticket.
    http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...lisbury&page=1
    Has same ratio as current rear end and with the roverdrive installed i really like my current gearing..

At the office tomarrow I will run the numbers of this shipped over compared to the options offered by the Seriestrek, and GBR shipped.

If I choose to order I will check to see what it adds to order other item and stuff in the box. There would be plenty of unused space in the crate. I have bought 2 engines in the last 5yrs from the UK and the shipping is expensive but not to bad. The 4.6 V8 long block was low $400's and my MG engine was even less.

Great info and appreciate the help.
    93 D110 NAS 327
    94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076, 1181
    95 3x RRC 2-SWB, 1-LWB

Default axle salisbury

Go here for that rear salisbury.
    http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/...Salisbury.html

Jim Wolf

umm.. ive got a quick question, couldnt you just modify two front diffs? i know that pro street builders sometimes welld their own axle/diff houseings up, so i would imagine itd be just as easy to cut the axle tubes off and spin the diff around to face forward, then weld back together and reinstall the axles, or would this mess up the internals somehow?
    field picked 1965 series 2a 88"

Quote Originally Posted by feildpickedrover View Post
    umm.. ive got a quick question, couldnt you just modify two front diffs? i know that pro street builders sometimes welld their own axle/diff houseings up, so i would imagine itd be just as easy to cut the axle tubes off and spin the diff around to face forward, then weld back together and reinstall the axles, or would this mess up the internals somehow?
    ??????? I must be missing something. Why would you do this?

gah, never mind, i just realized that a front diff would have the steering axles, but it would possibly be possible to modify a rear diff to fit under the back of a rover (modified from center drop to pass.drop) if you can get custom axles made, just shorten the axle tubes, and re weld (they do it in drag car applications all the time)but this isn't cost effective i don't think, if i remember correct my dad had a set made for an old ford at 300 an axle when he got sick of cracking them
    field picked 1965 series 2a 88"

I had thoughts of 4 wheel steering when I read that. That might be "interesting".
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by bkreutz View Post
    I had thoughts of 4 wheel steering when I read that. That might be "interesting".
    reminde me of the Ford GP 4ws &
    Willys MA-4WS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    re cut and custom axles:
    If you were going to cut axles/tubes and narrow them you might as well start with a set of Ford 9" axles or something like that.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums