Thread: 04 Disco II SE7 Rear Diff Issues

Question 04 Disco II SE7 Rear Diff Issues

My rear differential is broken and needs to be replaced. I have heard good things about the Detroit Trutracs. Does anyone have experience with this differential? Or can you suggest any other option? I use the car off road fairly often. No extreme stuff, but plenty of adventure off road travel usually pulling an Adventure Trailer (Chaser). Thanks--Jim

Coming from the jeep world truetracs are considered great for the part time wheeler and for someone that does up to medium trails. They are well behaved on road as well. No clunking or tire squealing like its cousin the locker. They don't wear out like a LS clutches do and have been known to be near bulletproof. I have never seen anyone that has been disappointed with the decision to go with one. I say do it! Just my $.02

Talking

Use a Genuine Land Rover rear diff. They were developed and engineered to take all the stress the Discovery could handle.
    As far as the other brand you mentioned, I don't use aftermarket parts as they often do not meet Genuine part spec due to the fact they are manufactured for price not quality. The Genuine parts are not inexpensive, but with a Land Rover you do get what you pay for.
    A little more up front means a lot less aggravation later. You found the best place to purchase one, so I wouldn't look anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Use a Genuine Land Rover rear diff. They were developed and engineered to take all the stress the Discovery could handle.
    What?
    The LR diff is the weakest link in the drive train (besides front drive shafts taking out the transmission after blowing u-joints). Even though LR's are known for weak axles shafts the 1 shaft spider gear set up is a joke for a
    +2 ton vehicle.
    If I lost my rear diff and couldn't find a cheap, and I mean real cheap as I wouldn't give much for a OEM LR diff, I would buy anything else before I bought a new LR diff.
    The TrueTrac is a good unit.

Steve
    71 IIa 88
    01 D2

Quote Originally Posted by BackInA88 View Post
    What?
    The LR diff is the weakest link in the drive train (besides front drive shafts taking out the transmission after blowing u-joints). Even though LR's are known for weak axles shafts the 1 shaft spider gear set up is a joke for a
    +2 ton vehicle.
    If I lost my rear diff and couldn't find a cheap, and I mean real cheap as I wouldn't give much for a OEM LR diff, I would buy anything else before I bought a new LR diff.
    The TrueTrac is a good unit.

Steve

Have to agree with the above.

I would go either a rover 4 pin diff, or put an ARB locker in it.