Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The longest non-stop drive?

Thanks everyone for all the reassurances! In the end, it was a pretty uneventful drive, though, we woke up far too early in the morning.....went to bed too early, and am now up too early!

I think the most I have put a truck like this through before has been about 350 miles in a day, and that was part of a trip from Spain to the UK, via France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and the Netherlands. Each part was in small segments of about 250 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less, and the longest individual trip was about 350 miles - overall, we did about 2.500 miles, but it was over a month!....and far more interesting than the trip we just completed!
    1993 NAS 110 300tdi conversion
    1985 90 300 tdi (from Italy)
    1985 90 prototype
    1983 S3 88" Safari SW

I did the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge, which was a 3 day endurance, navigation event in my 110. That was 3 days driving at least 14 hours a day, plus a day getting to the start line. It was all on small, twisty, country lanes through Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Not those nice smooth roads you have over there. Only once did I need to let my co-pilot take over for a while as my throttle leg was cramping up.

Quote Originally Posted by spacemutt View Post
    I did the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge, which was a 3 day endurance, navigation event in my 110. That was 3 days driving at least 14 hours a day, plus a day getting to the start line. It was all on small, twisty, country lanes through Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Not those nice smooth roads you have over there. Only once did I need to let my co-pilot take over for a while as my throttle leg was cramping up.
    I must ask.....what age of truck do you have? Are you going to do it again in March next year? Wouldn't mind doing it myself if we are over to show the baby off to our family.......maybe I should go on the reserve list......hmmn
    1993 NAS 110 300tdi conversion
    1985 90 300 tdi (from Italy)
    1985 90 prototype
    1983 S3 88" Safari SW

I took my 1983 V8 110. I was going to take the 130, but had a brake problem. The plan was to drive to the start on the Thursday, ready to go Friday morning. But we couldn't get the brakes right. So at the last minute, we bailed out and swapped into the 110, which, at the time, was cleaned and polished, ready to be sold! We chucked in all the kit we needed and set off, late on Thursday night. So we'd worked all day, and driven all night to get to the start of a 3 day endurance event. Great...

Click here for pictures.

did 1600 miles, with no stops in a 57.

Sorry for the late post, but I couldn't resist this thread. I bought my 71 lightweight in Houston, Tx. I then flew to Tx and drove it 2,800 miles in 4 days to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. The muffler letting go at about the half way point was my only problem. Only used 1 quart of oil for the whole trip.

I don't know how you guys get your rigs to go so far non-stop.

I can only get mine to go about 200 miles before I need to stop for refueling....... are you guys doing in-flight refueling ? Need pics of this

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew IIA View Post
    I don't know how you guys get your rigs to go so far non-stop.

I can only get mine to go about 200 miles before I need to stop for refueling....... are you guys doing in-flight refueling ? Need pics of this
    Simple- you leave the Rover running when you refuel. You have to do that when you aren't sure the thing will ever start again when you shut it down.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ACP30470 View Post
    Sorry for the late post, but I couldn't resist this thread. I bought my 71 lightweight in Houston, Tx. I then flew to Tx and drove it 2,800 miles in 4 days to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. The muffler letting go at about the half way point was my only problem. Only used 1 quart of oil for the whole trip.
    You sir have knocked me clear off my high chair. I thought I was king of the "first drives" but a measly 1000 miles seems so average now.

how many times have you been not so sure it would start again.
    this is true
    aaron
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe