Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nitrous

Well if you want to try nitrous- go for it. Let us all know how it goes.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JimCT
    Just for interest we have done over 35,000 miles in the ambulance as it is, so I would not consider it unuseable. That had included trips to cape Breton, PEI, NB....and lots of off-roading, it has been on it' sside once.
    I think you have hit on the single most important thing. Best to stay with what works and you are satisfied with.

I've seen too many people buy a series rig and trick it out without first learning where the vehicle handling boundries are. Sometimes the trick stuff can make the handling worse or the vehicle less reliable. A lot of times it becomes a crutch for not knowing how to drive a Series rig. I think Jim is taking the right approach. Buy a series rig and drive it. Learn where the vehicle handling boundries are, live with the ones do not feel a need to exceed, then selectivly make modifications to specific parts that will affect the boundries you wish to increase. It is usualy best to be conservitive with the modifications as long as the end results meets your needs.

If he can meet his needs by picking up 5 or 10 HP or straping JATO units to the roof of his ambulance ... Opps thats a nitro, er nitrous system isn't it, then that's the way to go.

Give you ideas a try & see if they met your needs.

thumb-up Why I am re-powering...

I was pretty much satisfied with the power from my amby, but I found that it just wasnt driveable with modern cars. People would squeeze me out in passing lanes, cars were constantly causing me jumping in front of me as I was building speed causing me to slow. If I can get to 55mph I do fine. On hills I pull to the side and plug away at 15-20mph, from start on a hill its slooooow. I have decided to go with a 4BT Cummins, it just makes sense with the weight I am pulling. The problem with getting up hills is that your amby is giving all it gots to stay going forward, without a bigger engine you just have to enjoy the slow lane. Nitrous destroys engines, even in small amounts. The mods I currently have 8:1 head, Rochester, larger exhaust and I try to strip out extra gear when I am not going camping (I even rely on only one front fuel tank, instead of filling up all 3).
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).