Jim, you are speaking for many Series owners who know that a rotting bulkhead can really take a great Rover off the road. My QE I almost had to exit to the world of "parts car" until ECR rescued me with a rebuilt bulkhead.

There's not just one bulkhead for all the Series vehicles. They differ between the Series I, II, II-A and III. Enthusiasts who are avid about restoration don't want a "generic" almost-like-the-original bulkhead; they will demand an exact replica. The fit of the bulkhead is essential if everything else is to fit on a frame. A critical starting point is the creation of a jig that has the exact dimensions needed (knowing full well that not every Rover is "exact"), and that would have to be done for every model.

Even if you're rebuilding a car for daily use, you still want the fenders, doors, windshield and rear tub to fit correctly. I certainly know you have high standards for your daily driver, Jim

Over the years, I've watched skilled fabricators at Rovers North and East Coast Rover rebuild bulkheads. It's a complex job; check out what Lindsay Porter wrote about welding bulkheads in his restoration book. Remember, too, that anyone who constructs parts assumes significant liability for safety. So the tooling, metal, testing, etc., needs to be up to snuff. Certainly I would not want to buy a bulkhead that has not been tested, or from an unknown fabricator. It's a critical part of the car's structure.

I respect Matt Browne's statements. He keeps a lot of Land Rovers operational and upgrades many vehicles here in New England. If he subcontracts the work, it's for a good reason.

And in recent decades, several vendors and restoration shops have made up a small number of critical parts, at their own expense, only to find that the inventory sits rather long, maybe too long sometimes.

You've launched a great effort, Jim! Keep up the good work. The discussion here is terrific and shows our real affection for our beloved Series Rovers. If we keep the enthusiasm high, a viable, quality solution will present itself.