My '72 petrol SWB came with an electric fuel pump in addition to the mechanical one. Although it can run with only the mechanical one it eventually starves for gas and dies w/o the electric one supplementing it. As the whole fuel system is new I assumed that the lobe inside the engine was worn and the pump wasn't being fully articulated because of that. However I recently found an old Rovers North receipt in one of the manuals so I wrote the previous owner a letter (I bought the vehicle off e-bay from someone who just flipped cars). He said he installed the electric pump because after the truck sat for a while it would need to be primed and he didn't want to climb under the truck. Suprisingly my theory of a worn lobe is unlikely as the truck only has 20,000 on it, I had assumed that it has turned over! Before I put on a new fuel pump (wife is starting to get tired of me spending $ on my truck) could it be that the newly installed one just be defective as evidenced by the need for priming? If I do replace it has anyone used the new style one offered by our hosts or should I go with the pro-line replacemnt with the sediment bowl?

thanks and sorry for the wordy post