Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankenstein 67 (69?) 88"...Need some Advice

The serial number 24423416B would have it be produced sometime in 1965 according to this information: Link here

Also suffix B chassis were only built up to 1965… Link here.

The three spoke steering wheel on that truck is 1967 or later. As is the wiper system (single motor). The dash configuration is 1968 or later - ignition key with hazard switch above on on a single small panel the left of the larger instrument cluster panel (introduced with the bugeye) with the oil pressure gauge and ashtray on a separate small panel to its left. The rear tail light configuration is 1968 or later (introduced with the bugeye). The vent/windshield blower system is 1968 or later (introduced with the bugeye). Dual circuit vacuum assist breaks are 1968 or later (introduced with the bugeye).

The only evidence I see on that truck of it being pre-bugeye are the breakfast and the hand break… The seller claims its a 67. The serial number with suffix B is at the latest 65.

98% of the truck is consistent with it being a bugeye…

I think you just need to go into something like this with your eyes open. Know what it's worth and what it's going to cost to get it to where you want it. The mess with the title and serial number becomes your mess when it's time to sell it.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by darbsclt View Post
    Hi Jason,

I live in South Charlotte also... I'll send you a PM with my phone number/e-mail address. If you want, I'll be happy to go over my '66 Series with you and help you understand the areas you might want to look/look out for. If you've never driven a Series... it would be a good opportunity for you to experience one first hand.

Cheers!

Charlie
    Good on ya Charlie!

Jason - this is the route I took. When I found my first Rover I almost bought it - but asked the right people for advice and walked away. People like Charlie and others here will help you get the right truck. There are plenty out there :-)
    1968 Series IIa

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    The serial number 24423416B would have it be produced sometime in 1965 according to this information: Link here

Also suffix B chassis were only built up to 1965… Link here.

The three spoke steering wheel on that truck is 1967 or later. As is the wiper system (single motor). The dash configuration is 1968 or later - ignition key with hazard switch above on on a single small panel the left of the larger instrument cluster panel (introduced with the bugeye) with the oil pressure gauge and ashtray on a separate small panel to its left. The rear tail light configuration is 1968 or later (introduced with the bugeye). The vent/windshield blower system is 1968 or later (introduced with the bugeye). Dual circuit vacuum assist breaks are 1968 or later (introduced with the bugeye).

The only evidence I see on that truck of it being pre-bugeye are the breakfast and the hand break… The seller claims its a 67. The serial number with suffix B is at the latest 65.

98% of the truck is consistent with it being a bugeye…

I think you just need to go into something like this with your eyes open. Know what it's worth and what it's going to cost to get it to where you want it. The mess with the title and serial number becomes your mess when it's time to sell it.
    Thanks for taking the time to point out the differences, up until this point I was very unaware of many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ArlowCT View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to point out the differences, up until this point I was very unaware of many of them.
    I don't pretend to be a know it all! I just know boring/insignificant details about the 68/69 vintage Rovers because I almost bought a bugeye and spent a lot of time researching what made them different. I ended up buying a 68 that is just pre-bugeye and have been interested in learning about how the series trucks transitioned in different ways from 68 through 69. Much dictated by federal relations on US imports. My 68 is among the last NADA trucks with the headlights on the breakfast. A handful of the parts on my truck were only used for a year or so during the transition…
    Last edited by lumpydog; 07-02-2015 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Typo
    1968 Series IIa