Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body Work Opinions Needed

One thing is for certain, your truck is too nice to leave it as-is.
    Since the truck is so drastically modified, I don't think the decision to replace vs. repair is an issue, as far as maintaining originality is concerned. There are always going to the guys who will point out the new wing and bring it to everyone's attention within earshot, but too busy to notice it's a hybrid to begin with.
    There are plenty of old school body guys who will beat that out and use no filler. If you can't find one and have to resort to the ho-hum body shops, go with the replacement panel. You may not have the proper row of spotwelds, and keep in mind that however the old panle was removed, like drilling all the spot welds, the inside panel where the wheel arch attaches will show unless that is given equal attention. In the end, I think you;ll find, that given that you can find a good panel man, he will be able to do his magic way faster than replacing the panel.

Hey JimME

No offense intended. Rovers are some of my favorites as well. The point I was trying to make was that if he intends to off road the truck, he'll probably bend that same spot again (we've all done it). So he might not want to go through the hassle and expense of finding the right guy, that can do the right repair. Instead he might be better off just pulling it out and leaving it, or taking the replacement panel route.

Cheers,
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Friar Mike,

Is that your red head? If so, nice. Every year I get the itch to buy one, and then my wife slaps me down ("you already have too many toys") Sound familiar?

PS, I'm trying to talk her into an Exige S. Wish me luck.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by thixon
    Friar Mike,

Is that your red head? If so, nice. Every year I get the itch to buy one, and then my wife slaps me down ("you already have too many toys") Sound familiar?

PS, I'm trying to talk her into an Exige S. Wish me luck.
    No I can't afford them so I work on them to get my kicks there is only 3 of these up here that I know of this one came from washington it was owned by someone who live on 1 micosoft way. the owner now here in Alaska is in the pokie for a little payback somthing like 3 to 5 years he was the president of a company called AIH ( Alaska industrial hardware ) so I guess I won't be getting any free Loooooooooooong test drives for some time. but I do see about 3 308s from time to time so that will have to do.
    Onward threw the fog

Quote Originally Posted by Momo
    You might look around nearby airports for someone to beat the panel out, especially if there's an antique flying community where you live. Those guys are at home with aluminum alloy.

H mmm...I may have to keep this in mind as there is a antique flying community here. I'll definitly ask around.
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys
    One thing is for certain, your truck is too nice to leave it as-is.
    Since the truck is so drastically modified, I don't think the decision to replace vs. repair is an issue, as far as maintaining originality is concerned. In the end, I think you;ll find, that given that you can find a good panel man, he will be able to do his magic way faster than replacing the panel.
    I am definitly not leaving it as-is. I would fix it myself if i knew how. I believe I may have someone in town that can do some good stuff with aluminum. I really don't want to replace an entire panel and if someone can get as close to how it was without bondo, that would be quite nice.

Its definitly a hybrid but I like the fact that the previous owner kept the original outer look. Anyway, thanks again for all the positive feedback and suggestions!
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Quote Originally Posted by thixon
    Hey JimME

No offense intended. Rovers are some of my favorites as well. The point I was trying to make was that if he intends to off road the truck, he'll probably bend that same spot again (we've all done it). So he might not want to go through the hassle and expense of finding the right guy, that can do the right repair. Instead he might be better off just pulling it out and leaving it, or taking the replacement panel route.

Cheers,
    It may see some light off-roading here and there..but nothing serious. I usually keep really good care of my vehicles and I want this one to last for quite some time. I'm going to try to find someone who can work with aluminum and no bondo. I'm sure I can find someone to do a good job.